Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Details, details, details

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Spent the last couple of nights doing the pattern Billy 40 put up on PMF which he calls 700xl with #61 Pattern. A red spider on black and gold.

When done , I had no spider. Went back and checked and it appears I should have built the red in from the outer box not out from the middle. Them details will kill ya!! smile.gif

Good learning experience though as I kept altering thread counts inside and outside to get a more spidery look.Ended up with a beautiful star (much nicer than when I actually did a star) do to the longer points I got trying to make spider legs. Anyway , I learned something and still got a nice cross wrap out of it. Just not the one I was aiming at! smile.gif

Hey Salt - You went way back into the MOF site for that one, huh? That was the first picture posted there. The 700XL is a Calstar blank model number.

I like the way the stars/Spiders come out - from a regular 4 point star to the #61 pattern we both used. I like to make the arms stretch out and look really fine - thus I try to get about 10 passes to create the pattern - need a wide diameter blank to make it fit and not wrap. I also like the "mini star" - the one in the picture made from Gold thread to have shorter arms. I also just found out Gold looks 10 times better on a black background than on a light one.

Salt - did you get a nice curve on the arms? These stars look so nice, and on a wide blank they are "easy" to pack.

Have you looked on MOF recently? Tom K (Rodmaker mag)has posted some really nice work, as has Mark Crouse. Mark's latest creation has a pretty complex design - he wraps a small pattern ( I think the last one in teh Clemens book) within the background of a larger pattern. Pretty cool effect.

Billy

I'll have to look at the site again Billy. I put the star on an Allstar 1265 which has a pretty good sized butt section. I only started lenghthening and curving the star for the last 3 red threads but it mad a big difference. I was already going 2 outside per one inside so I had good points anyway but the last 3 red really curved it to a nice long point.