Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Begginer questions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Well, I'm looking to build a salmon/steelhead rod for my winter steelhead expeditions. This is my first time even attempting to build a rod, so I am going to take advantage of the oppurtunity and ask you a Master Rod builder a few questions.biggrin.gif

Im trying to be as economical as possible. The blank I am looking to buy is not going to cost more than $40-45. So, what am I going to need to build this rod? Are there kits that I can buy that have most of what I need? I appreciate any and all help you can provied me.

------------------

Ismail G.

<*))\\\\\\><

^^^^^^^^^^

StriperJiggy@aol.com

Ismail...Welcome to rodbuilding. I have just started and I have only completed a few rods (a couple others are in the works) I would suggest that you get some catalogs from Anglers Workshop, Mudhole, Clemens, and Mike up at www.**********.com and some other companies and just do some window shopping and see whats out there and then ask for some reviews. You can get blems or seconds pretty cheap to learn on. Most companies have kits that include guides, handles and reel seat. There were some threads earlier about handwrappers and powerwrappers. The articles that Al wrote are great for how to end of it. I am not sure what I would have done with out them. There are also an article on John R's board that Mike CC did that was very good as well. If you ever want to see my set up, let me know. Good Luck!!

Charlie

Hey Ismail - glad to see you caught a big one up at the Fling!!

Here are some photos of a rod wrapper I made myself: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=11019686&f=0

Steelhead rod, huh - what length, lure range, line range, type of reel will you be using? I have no experiance building these type of rods, but Al will need some more info in order to point you in the right direction. In the meantime, Advanced Custom Rodbuilding by Dale Clemens, and The Rodbuilders Guide by Tom Kirkman are 2 really good books almost neccesary for you to learn about building rods.

Any questions on the rod wrapper I built, let me know, BIlly

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 06-29-2001).]

Thanks Billy,

That was a damn good idea for that rod wrapper!

Well, the rod is 10'6", rated at 1/2-3/4oz, the butt size is .748, the tip size is 7, and its two peice. I'll make sure to pick up those books. Thanks again.

Ismail - Don't order anything until you get in touch with Al. He should be back early this week (he's out in Montauk fishing). E-Mail me and I'll give you instructions on how I built that wrapper.

Billy