Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

PC7 Paste Epoxy?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for a thick expoxy that I can use to attach cork and reel seats to a blank without the expoxy dripping off.

I bought some PC 7 paste expoxy which is pretty thick stuff but I wanted to run this idea before this forum before I tried.

Any opinions, recommendations, caveats?

Thanks, Tom

From what I understand PC-7 is a heavy epoxy that is suitable for Offshore rods, but not the best choice for Inshore/lighter rods. Rod Bond or Kardol is what you want. It will stay put and is extremely strong. You can use it for cork rings, installing EVA grips, reel seats, butt caps etc.

Billy

I apologize for making you thnk it is unsuitable for Inshore use. I know that other builders use the PC7 for Offshore rods where there is a large gap between parts, ie: gluing a Stuart Tuffbutt to blank. I have never used PC7, but have used Rod Bond and Kardol. I must admit I do not know the exact reason why, but I do know PC7 is not the best choice for gluing cork rings and seats on lighter rods.

Maybe someone can help me take my foot out of my mouth?? Billy

No apologies needed! Someone also emailed me to say that PC 7 was not suitable for rod building - something about it not be the best type of epoxy for tight fitting situations.

being the cautious type, I will have to track down some Kardol or Rod Bond. What hurts is that I just spent $17.00 for the PC 7.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tom

PC7 is a filled epoxy which I've always found to be really obnoxious to work with; the stuff's got the consistency of modeling clay, and any squeeze-out or glue lines visible in the finished work will have a homely opaque lead grey color. Kardol (Resco) has a consistency closer to vaseline, is more than strong enough for any rodbuilding applications, and glue lines will cure amber clear.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 06-10-2001).]

I've used PC7 on many reel seat, and think that it is the strongest bond for that application. For gluing cork rings, I would recomend something that flows better and dries clear, like rod bond or others mentioned above. PC7 does not flow and therefore should be applied differently for the seat. If I'm using tape arbors for exapmple, I would leave smaller gaps between arbors and either fill the gaps with the PC7 or leave a bead of it on either side of the arbors. I have taken off reel seats that were put on with PC7 and I can tell you that they don't die easy. There is no significant difference in weight, unless you completely fill in large gaps between arbors. Even then, I think anyone would have a tough time telling the diffence. PC7 is the strongest reel seat epoxy that I know of, for any rod. I have glues fly rod reel seats with PC7 with great results. I say use it, but only for the seat.

Phil