Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jettyjockey18

Spiral wrapping a herring stick...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

hey al...

since the winter is nearly upon us and i haven't seen a fish with stripes in 6 weeks i want to start thinking ahead to next season...

i'm going to attempt to build a herring stick and i'm leaning towards the lami sb 1213m with 1 foot cut from the butt...

i figured since i have a lot of time to kill this winter i'd try spiral wrapping the rod while i'm at itcwm24.gifsmile.gif

could you recommend some guide sizing/locations for such a stick...i'll probably put an abu 7001LH on it with 20lb fireline... thanks...

-todd

Todd,

Here is how I would set it up:

HNLG Hardaloy guides:

20,16,16,12,12,12,12,12,12 plus a UST SIC tip.

#20 stripper 28-30 inches from the center of the reelseat.

1st #12 guide 5 inches from the tip.

Space the remining guides with 3/4 inch incresing increments working from tip to butt. i.e. 5.75. 6.50, 7.25. etc.

The spiral rotation is clockwise since you appear to be using a left handed reel and goes as follows:

#20 guide at 30 degrees

#16 guide at 75 degrees

#16 guide at 120 degrees

#12 guide at 150 degrees

#12 guide at 180 degrees

Run out remaining guides at 180 degrees.

The location and rotation of the guides are just a starting point. You will need to tape the guides in place, test cast and then static deflect to determine the final guide positions.

Notice the number of guides used and the gentle rotation. This is important to minimize the line friction as it rotates around the blank.

Good Luck,

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-15-2002).]

Todd, you gonna break down and buy that conventional are you.... smile.gifHmmm.. spiral wrapping a 9 footer.. where did I see that before. biggrin.gif.lol..lol.. let me know how you make out.. I think your gonna like it..

Bob