Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FisherDan

Graphite Golf Shaft Technology in Fishing Rods??

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

The hottest golf club shaft on the PGA Tour is the 'NV' manufactured by Aldila. It features a new contruction technique (at least for golf shafts) the manufacturer calls "Micro Laminate Technology." They use an "ultra-thin aerospace grade prepreq" to produce a shaft that has approximately 3 times the number of plies of prepreg that other graphite golf shafts have. If the illustation on Aldila's marketing literature is accurate it looks like the shaft is constructed with about 18 plies vs. about 6 plies in a typical graphite golf shaft. IMO, the shaft is vastly superior to any other shaft available today. It has added about 25 to 30 yards to my drives and the accuracy is impressive.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this technology is already being used in the manufacturing of rod blanks. From my perspective, graphite golf shaft technology seems to lag behind rod blank manufacturing techniques. Case in point - the golf industry has just discovered that shafts have a spine and now charge up to $60 to align the spine of the shaft so that it is pointing toward the target.

I'm not that familar with rod manufacturing techniques and processes. Thought I'd run it past the experts. If "micro laminate technology" hasn't already been applied to rod blanks, somebody needs to latch on to the process - it's a real winner!

Dan

There are advantages and disadvantages in using a thinner prepeg and making more wraps around the mandrel.

For the most part, the fishing rod manufacturers got the early jump on most other sporting goods manufacturers in terms of graphite use technology. They've been using it since the mid 1970's.

G.Loomis was a major player in the evolution of the graphite golf club shaft, but sold their shaft division to Adila about 9 or 10 years ago (the whole scenario led to the sale of the fishing division to Shimano - too much to go into here). I believe Adila still makes shafts that bear the G.Loomis name, however.

The only real disadvantages of using thinner prepreg is the labor involved in the cutting and assembly process. It most certainly allows you to engineer in more complete plys and gives you more fiber strands per blank. This becomes more and more necessary with the use of higher modulus fibers. Also in the prepreg process the thinner materials are much easier to maintain tolerances of resin percentages with.

Todd

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Interesting stuff. Judging from Todd's response, it sounds as if work may be already underway producing a new generation of rods based on ultra-thin plys. I'd love to have a rod that does for my casting what the Aldila 'NV' shaft has done for my golf game.

Dan

On the opposite side of teh spectrum - what about ole Vault poles. Anyone have a clue what those are made from, by who, etc?

If a rod can be made to allow a 200# man to run full speed, stick the tip of his rod into the corner of teh bow, and hoist himself onto another boat - I want it.