How Big Can Conger Eels Get?

Rate this topic

TrashFisher

Exactly! That's why I don't fish for cod either. I'm not a fan of reeling up hundreds of feet against something that feels like a 5 gallon bucket.

On congers, I've only had them smoked and that was very good. Smoked eel just flakes off the bones. I've seen recipes for eel stews that look good but I can't vouch for them.

but yet when u caught a few cod on my boat this year you were singing a different tune
I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

Try a 40lb golden in 1000 feet and see how fun that is...they actually fight..

did that. Didn't enjoy it at all. He fought for 150 ft and than did nothing. Didn't fight all that hard either
I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

This was on the Gambler back in 2009. Went down with a whole bergal, sliced up. Dropped it into a hole in the wreck. Fish hit hard almost right away. We were about 45 miles offshore. Just about 5' long, nobody wanted it. Couple pics, after it grabbed a hold of my arm(ouch), back over it went.

Interesting on the bait and how you said it got hit right away. 

I have read about guys that target them in Europe, and supposedly they are very particular on baits, strongly preferring fresh fish baits, whole or cut.

It makes me wonder if some of our wrecks might have a lot more of them, but we're just seeing a couple here and there they eat the rotten blobs of clam bait we send down there.  

feeling uncreative today

• 2 weeks later...

Tell you a conger eel story.  Off shore lobster fishing in the 80's and 90's we would get them as a by catch in the pots. We would put them in bait barrels and put the cover on, or they would be on deck again in seconds.  They can be very nasty.  Had a girl on deck one time and she was picking the pots as landed at the time. She had a tank top on with no bra, and she was well designed. She opened one pot and this 4' to 5' foot eel comes out and latches onto one of her breasts.  I look at her and she is screaming and wrestling with this eel, and I look at the other guys in disbelief and we are all like frozen. The eel did not let go till we cut off its head, and in a short period of time it put a real hurt on her.  One of the guys was previously a medic in service, and he took care of her. On his advise, we cut the trip short and headed home and got her to the hospital. That ended her desire and thoughts of being a deckhand.

Be very careful in handling conger eels.