How Big Can Conger Eels Get?

Rate this topic

TrashFisher

I've heard that down in offshore NJ Conger Eels (the actual eels, not Ocean Pout) are biting right now, and I am sort of interested considering that I know just how huge they get in Europe (biggest is 8 feet and 130 lbs). However, from what I've read, it doesn't seem they can get nearly as big in the states. There are a lot of articles on the web that say the American Congers can reach 90 lbs, but after looking at actual catches and records I haven't found a single fish that was over 25 lbs. I think the articles might just be mxing up Europe's Congers with the American ones, because I don't know where they got 90 lbs from. Anyways, I'm a bit lost, so I'd appreciate it a lot if anyone could clear things up and give me a better idea of how big these guys can actually get based on what you've caught, considering that the anglers are usually the ones who tangle with big fish more than anybody else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Weight?? 30lbs?

The one I saw was a long time ago. It was pretty thick. The guy wasn't 6 foot tall but he was holding it up by the gills with his arm all the way up and it was just about touching the deck. That one FNH is holding looks like it could be 30.

• 1 month later...

I usually have them filleted. To cook the you can cut filets into 6 to 8 inch pieces , dredge in flour and fry. Or make a simple marinara cause in a fryin pan, once the sauce cooks for about 45 minutes you can add the filets and cook for another 20 minutes or so al low flame