Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Cost of custom vs. factory?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al-

I'm narrowing down my options for a 9' surf stick to fish the South Shore of LI and would like your input. Here are the specifics:

Lure wts: 1/2-2oz.

Reel: Most likely Nautil 6500

Line: Either 20# Fireline or Power Pro

Tyep: Spinning

Thanks to the good input already received from the board, it looks as though the two front runners that fit this bill are the XSRA1083 or the GSB108L (put together with quality components).

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of experience w/r/t the pros and cons of each. WOuld a wrapped GSB108L be comperable in costs? Are their advantages of one over the other?

If you (as well as other who frequently post in this forum)could help me out with any comments and/or suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

Joe,

The 1083 is more high tech and would run more money. It is also a little less durable than the GSB model.

Each one will do the job, so it's your call.

Al

Joe

Im having a GSB1081L built for me for the same uses just on the other side of the pond ( LI sound ) . Using a nautil 6500 with 14 # fireline . I chose this rod over the 1083 cause of durability and cost . Both are good choices good luck !

Chris-

If you don't mind me asking, what is the going rate for a well put together GSB108L? Also, what are the differences in action between these two?

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

Joe,

That is a very personal question. Everyone has their on price/value threshold. There is the question of complimentary components: guides (SIC vs hardaloy), grips (5 star cork or lesser quality, cork tape or synthetic grips). Then there is the question of decorative thread work.

Added to the above is having the rod built by a reputable and experienced builder.

Al