Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
william1

a little ditty about the spine

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I realize there is not much difference in whether you place the guides on the spine or perhaps 180 from the spine. But I think when you get down to the nitty gritty there is suppose to be a difference. Guides placed on the spine make it harder to load the rod and easier to fight the fish or is it the other way around?Never can remember that ditty.

The difference between the rod's softest and stiffest axis is slight, but definite. However, it's not enough so that using it one way or the other is going to change the casting weight range or fly line rating of a rod. It's certainly not enough to make much difference in the power you can apply to the fish.

Also, keep in mind that the softest and stiffest axis on most rods are not 180 degrees apart.

Not sure that I've ever heard the exact "ditty" you refer to, but the ones I have heard are not altogether accurate.

If you desire more power, move to a more powerful blank. If you need to cast less weight and still need the rod to load, you're going to need a blank with a lower casting weight range.