Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHUCK BRYAN

Education in Rods adn help with new purchase

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Dear Al;

The following make up my arsnel of SURF RODS.I only fish from the beach and almost totaly with bait. I find my self with a 6500ss that was just completely overhauled at Penn factoy and want to put it on a new Rod.

1.Quantium OXLC 7 H 5/8 TO 4 oz mated to abu 6500 c3

2. Ocean master OM11 S 2 TO 8 oz mated to a penn706z [2pc]

3.Fenwick HMG 9H-2 1/2 to 4 oz mated to a penn 710z

The spinng rods all use Andre mono and the 6500 is Fire line.

I here the fellows talk about building Rods and wonder if I am missing by buying off the shelf. Each of the above I shopped for to do a certain task in the suds. I dont buy from chain stores and with the exception of the 11 footer by all my LARGE PURCHASES face to face.

The questions I need answers for from you are do you see a weakness in my arsenel and how would you fill it? The next is can I get an off the shelf rod to compair with a custom built, price is not the issue.

All of the above have taken fish in the 30 inch range with little protest and my main area of fishing is South jersey and lower North Carolina.

What would you suggest as to length [i am 5'11' 160lbs]and action?

------------------

CHUCK OF THE LONG CAST

Chuck,

You are asking the $64 question. I think if you polled a cross section of avid surfcasters with the financial resources most would go for the custom rod. From my own experience, a well designed custom rod for casting, whether it be surf, jetty or from a boat, will out perform any off the shelf rod. However, there are many excellent production surf rods today that are almost the equal of a custom rod. Lamiglas in particular has come out with a series of production surf rods that are of excellent quality.

A properly designed surf rod will be fitted to you. Butt length, reelseat position,

guide placement and proper alignment of the spine of the blank are all critical factors that effect the rod's performance. All these should be considered when building a custom rod. They are not considered when building a production rod due to cost and the need to build a rod for the "average" fisherman.

As far as evaluating your current arsenal, I am not familiar with the fishing areas you frequent and the local conditions. Therefore, I cannot intelligently answer your question. maybe some of the members of the Board can comment better than I.

Al G.