Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fencer04

Spiral Wrap Wire Line Rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone had done or thought it might be possible. I am not sure that the line would be able to take the little strain that might placed on it by putting it through the guides.

------------------

J.Hansen

Al, I beg your indulgence . . . .I've read lot's of posts where the guys have talked about te virtues of Spiral Wraps . . . .for a newbie to SOL how about a primer on what a spiral IS and its applications.

The spiral wrap is a method of wrapping a conventional rod where the guides are rotated around the blank from the zero degree axis to the 180 degree axis. The advantages of a spiral wrap are increased stability when fighting a fish and less torque on the tip area of the rod thus reducing breakage.

All conventional rods when loaded under the stress of fighting a fish, even when spined correctly, have a tendency for the tip section of the rod to try and "turnover" itself with the guides rotating to under the rod. You can see this when you static deflect test a soft action rod. This torquing rotation of the rod is caused by the force of the line on the guides. By rotating or spiraling the guides around the rod the torquing is eliminated.

The spiral wrap application was primarily used for building downrigger rods used on the Great Lakes for trolling salmon and lake trout. About twenty years ago, a great rodbuilder and friend, Kinzo Yamamoto applied it to building stand up tuna rods. Several years ago two great rod builders and friends, Don Morton and Clay Johnson, showed how the spiral wrap could be applied with great success to other rod applications. I have built a number of casting, jigging and stand up tuna rods incorporating the spiral erap with great success.