Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

First Attempt & Thanks

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have just finished my first rod thanks to the extensive help I received in this forum. Its a 7' conventional for bay fluking. I used this forum and the search feature to learn about blanks, threads, finshes, guides, & reel seats. I got answers to my specific questions about blank choices. I got expert advice when I got epoxy fingerprints on the blank and even when my drying motor failed during drying and left big blobs of rod finish on my wraps.

Its my first attempt (in a long time anyway), and its not perfect, but I am proud of it, and I look forward to starting my next rod. Thanks to Al and all who helped meicon14.gif!

Alan

grip.JPG

guide.JPG

Way to go Gilbey. You're hooked now. biggrin.gif My first was just over a year ago and I have 6 now. I make 'em as the need for one in my arsenal arises and sometimes jusy for the heck of it wink.gif

Which blank did you end up building?

Mike W.

The blank is a St Croix model 2C70MHF, a 7' rated for 3/8 to 1 ounce. I wanted to feel the Calstar blank you guys suggested, but none of the local shops in my area carry them. I found this blank at a local shop and it seemed like a good fit, a little soft in the mid-section, but I figure that might work to my adtvantage with braid anyway.

And your right Mike, the wheels are already turning.....what should I build nextbiggrin.gif!

Great Job Alan, that fore grip really looks nice. Soon you'll be spending more time building than fishing. Bruce

[This message has been edited by Softhackle (edited 03-25-2003).]