Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeterO

blank suggestions for a 2-piece conventional

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I would like to build a 2-piece conventional for travel - to be used for partyboat/bottom fishing. Would build it spiral, with butt/reel seat on one section and guides on the other and overall length about 7' to 7'6" and handle 30/40lb line/ 4-8oz lead. I was thinking about using a cut down 2-piece surf blank.

Any suggestions regarding which blank would work for this application will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cut & pasted from elsewhere:

All GUSA's can be made 2-piece. Peter, I have an 8' Mega Mag (still) on order that I will wrap up for my July Tortuga's trip, which I think would be perfect for what you are looking to do. I may make it into a 3-piece with a FErruled seat.....

I'm also making a 3-piece Monster Mag (50#) for travel. Just note, HJ has warned me that these still may not be allowed in carry on, so this whole idea might go for naught. In either event, it's a buttload cheaper & safer to ship something in a 4' tube than an 8' tube.

You can take a regular 5-6' rod, add a ferruled seat + 15" of handle, and have a 7-7'6 rod.

Peter, If you need to borroweither or both of these for a trip, just ask (I have to build them and use them first though, lol)

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I'm really not going to have the time to get it done before I leave. However, I do plan on building one for the "next time" smile.gif