Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris L

Connecticut rod builder

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

not sure where you are looking or what kind of rod you want, but i know of a few. there's river's end tackle in old saybrook. they have custom boat and surf rods. there's hillyer's tackle in waterford. they have a wide variety of boat rods and a few surf. then, there's j&b tackle in niantic. they have boat and offshore rods. but, they can build anything. just some ideas. i'm sure there are others in western and nothern, ct. not sure if it's much of a ride, but you can also check out weekapaug b&t. they have lots of surf suff. all of these places have web sites too.

hope this helps

Al Goldberg will make the trip to CT...if ya buy him dinner! wink.gif Psst...Manero's in Greenwich is his fav.... biggrin.gif

Have you checked out the Surfcaster? Bill P. farms his rods out to a few guys.

Capt. Kerry's guys down @ J&B in Niantic make a lot of no-nonsense boat rods, if that's what you're after.

-FWW

thanks guys . I thought about j&b but I thought they specialized in offshore and boat rods . I was looking for surf rods and I have been in contact with Al and we setting something up .

Thanks Again

Hi Chris,

Good to have you down to the shop this morning. Now you have some idea of the process of custom rod building. Hope you enjoyed the time down here.

I am stuck here in the house waiting for CA and Crash to call and stop by on their way back from a freshwater trip just north of me. It is a little chilly out there today.

Happy New Year to all and stay warm.

Al

Al

It was a pleasure and thanks for having me over for a veiw . it was an easy ride both ways thanks for the fine directions . Your just about right with the estimate of 70 minutes between us .

Thanks again

sorry everyone I didnt take pictures of Als shop due to contracts I had to sign of nondisclosure . wink.gif

Chris---I think Pat Abate at River's End Tackle in Old Saybrook does some rod building. I bought the last 10' Fisher blank he had in stock from him. He mentioned that he had built 3 nine footers on the last three 8708 blanks he had---one of which I think was sold to Frank D wink.gif

Pat Abate does have custom rods but nothing fancy if your looking for lots of glitter. My advice is to find a shop your comfortable with and make the trip as you did to Al's.