Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Too tight or too loose

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al

I been wondering what would be a good benchmark to determine if my wraps are toooo tight or toooo loose or Just right. Any words of wisdom you could share on that subject?

My "rule of thumb" is that if you a just move around the guide a little after wrapping for final alignment then it is wrapped just right.

It's too tight if you cannot move the guide.

Al

YIKES?!?!! Good question Saltheart. Ummm...what are the ramifications of wrapping a guide on "too tight"? No reason, just curious icon15.gif

TimS

No fine adjustments before applying epoxy. Tim, What were your tips about applying cork tape? Wrapped my first cork tape grip last night and it came out perfect, just wondering if there are any tips that will be easier. Thanks, Mike

No way, when I put them guides on, they don't budge...I thought this was a good thing!??! cwm24.gif Now I'm not so sure icon15.gif

Mike, the "tip" for cork tape is to cover the entire section to be cork taped with an extremely thin coat of 30 minute epoxy...all except the last 2". Those 2" will be for the cork tape sticky stuff to stick to the blank and keep the tape from unwinding. What I do is cut the cork tape with the leading edge starting at the reel seat with the proper "taper" for that blank...I'll test wind it to the end of the area to be done to get an approximate length. Now I'll start the tape on the blank, but leaving the backing on the sticky side all except for the first few inches. That few inches I'll apply to the blank like normal, just to get the tape started properly. Now I'll put the very thin coat of 30 minute epoxy on the area between the tape and the end of the section to be done. Remember, leave 2" at the other end free of epoxy so that the glue on the cork tape can adhere on the other end like on the starting end. Once the epoxy is on, now you can start with removing sections of the backing on the cork tape. As you apply the cork tape, you can twist it tighter and slide it towards the starting point. This will eliminate any gaps you might normally get from application with just the adhesive on the cork tape. Continue applying the cork, twisting and pushing the winds together as you go. When you near the point (2") from the finishing end, you'll need to make the last wrap without the luxury of the epoxy. Now I throw a piece of masking tape over the end to keep it from unwinding. Ditto the starting end if necessary...sometimes you need the masking tape on that end, sometimes you don't. Once the epoxy is dry, remove the tape from the finished end, cut the cork tape that hangs over the end of the blank, scissors or a razor work fine. Viola! Perfect cork tape, every single time. I've had people ask me what I finished my rod butts with, they tell me it doesn't look like cork tape, there are no seams...and I smile smile.gif

TimS

Wish I'd known that little trick yesterday! I was cursing up a storm trying to put that stuff on. I coated the blank with rubber cement and let dry then I wrapped the tape on and overlapped by about a 1/16". I then tried to sqeeze the overlap into the seem, whatever was left I sanded with 220 grit paper. It came out great but your idea sounds easier and should last longer. Next time I'll give it a go. Thanks, Mike