Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joedouglas76

How Dangerous Sharks When Kayak Fishing?

69 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedouglas76 View Post

Do you think there are any other marine animals or things that would pose a threat to an inflatable kayak.

Hooks! Pissed off blues come to mind. I've had countless blues thrashing and slamming into my kayak with big plugs hanging out of their mouth while i'm trying to get a lip gripper on 'em. I also tend to have plugs laying around in the yak since I never put them back into my plano boxes after they've been in saltwater (keep unused ones from rusting, bigtime). 

I also tend to have plugs laying around in the yak since I never put them back into my plano boxes after they've been in saltwater (keep unused ones from rusting, bigtime). 

Jon, I've got a small grey bucket that I got from Lowes that fits the center hatch of the Revo. You just have to cut away to fit it in the area of the latch. I toss all my plugs/lures in there that I'm using or have used that day. I just fill the bucket with fresh water when I get home. Sometimes I get a tangled mess, but it's a small price to pay. This keeps all those salt laden lures in one spot and away from my clean gear.

No.

Well whites are common up and down the east coast. Chatham on cape has been home to quite a few due in summer months to seals becoming larger in population but not so much in the cape cod bay.

They like water temps to be above 55 and below 75 degrees and can migrate quite far.

Bull Sharks are the ones that I've heard the most about though only around the south side of the cape. They swim up rivers a lot even into fresh water and they are pretty nasty

Hooks! Pissed off blues come to mind. I've had countless blues thrashing and slamming into my kayak with big plugs hanging out of their mouth while i'm trying to get a lip gripper on 'em. I also tend to have plugs laying around in the yak since I never put them back into my plano boxes after they've been in saltwater (keep unused ones from rusting, bigtime). 

After some waves breaking over my stern soaking the all gear in a plano, I got one with the full waterproof seal. Problem is the damn O-ring falls out of it's slot! All you need is to be out on the water fumbling with this thing while you'd rather be fishing. I've got to figure a good system like Jkay for used tackle, my center hatch isn't much. I was thinking a chunk of minicell foam in front of the fishfinder and behind the Scotty, just hang em there.

I read about that hardcore guy who kayak fishes for tuna off of Provincetown. He mentioned that he has run in w/ great whites while towing a tuna back to shore. Talk about unnerving! The guy has more stones then I do that's for sure.

That's gotta be Dave Lamoureux, I've read about him and seen some of his tuna fishing vids. 

JKay - that sounds like a good idea. A few years ago I copied Adrian's approach. It's a plastic storage bin (from target) about 16' x 12'. I cut it in half long ways and fed both halves through the front hatch and pushed them through to below the center hatch. Then I just zipped tied the halves back together. This gave me tons more storage compared to any of those storage buckets hobie has, not to mention it doesn't collect any water.

gellfex - I keep a few planos in the back of my yak in a bag... and I can also shove in some plastics, leader, etc... On the choppy days I just keep it closed and usually don't have any problems. Just gotta have a good system for strapping it down for surf landings.

If you google "Cape Cod Shark Hunters", you will see pictures of great whites being tagged around Cape Cod over the last couple of years. They have great pictures from their spotter plane. I bookmarked that site a couple of years ago and view it every once in a while to stay focused and grounded. I try to remember that as soon as I set foot in the ocean, that I just sank a couple of notches on the food chain! I don't hang my feet over the side of my kayak now quite as much as I used to.

The odds are with you,...

5 deaths per year (worldwide) from sharks

13 deaths per year from vending machines

130 deaths per year from deer attacks

450 deaths per year from falling out of bed

Ps: just reporting the facts,..I have no idea how you get killed by a vending machine!!:confused:

Ps: just reporting the facts,..I have no idea how you get killed by a vending machine!!:confused:

I am now going to panic everytime I see a vending machine!

Hugely based on where you live. Although ive had 3 fish stolen from me off my OK in NJ one being a 30lb class striper to big browns and one what looked like a bull. There are some serious inshore sharks in NJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just4fun View Post

Ps: just reporting the facts,..I have no idea how you get killed by a vending machine!!confused.gif

lol funny.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but according to the Shark Attack Files, there were over 200 encounters worldwide, 16 of which lead to a fatality.

Half the encounters were right here in the U.S.

There was a guy who went out for the first time in a kayak only a few yards from shore. He ended up getting followed by a great white that was bigger than his kayak. (news report said it was 12-14 ft)

His comments about the encounter:  “I found the odds, and they're not exactly as good as I thought,”  LOL 

The odds are low, but it's always there. So be safe.