Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joedouglas76

How Dangerous Sharks When Kayak Fishing?

69 posts in this topic

There has been rare cases of kayaks getting attacked or feel threatened.

There was a fatality in maui hawaii. The guy's leg got bitten off by a tiger shark or something.

I would think it ultimately comes down to the yaker respecting the fact that you are in their ocean.

Surfers are well aware of the dangers each time they paddle out, yakers are no different.

I'd say it largely depends where you live. I mainly fish north jersey and never really give sharks a thought. I commonly leash fish to my yak and bleed them out. Probably not something i'd do in Hawaii or anywhere else big sharks are prevalent. 

I can't ever see using an inflatable, too many sharp things around (and I don't mean shark teeth).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonn View Post

The oceans are connected...there are sharks in Jersey.

Considered yourself lucky up to now.

lol, that's a joke, right? 

The oceans are connected...there are sharks in Jersey.

Considered yourself lucky up to now.

Nope, I've seen many around the Atlantic City area!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon I View Post

LoL, haha. unfortunately I wish I was.

Think about it. If great white sharks can make its way from the warmer water of South Africa & Mexico all the way up to Cape Cod...

Why couldn't it do a quick stop to chomp on something in Jersey on the way up there.

FACT: The movie Jaws was actually based on a series of shark attacks that happened in Matawan, New Jersey. lol

So next time think twice before dangling your legs out the side of you kayak. There are indeed sharks in Jersey.

lol... I just meant to post about my opinion of them not being dangerous to yakers in north jersey. For the record, I know we have sharks in NJ, and never claimed we didn't. Heck, I've fished for them before. 

But Sonn's comment about oceans being connected, now that's definitely wrong! The atlantic is just a big lake! :) ...just joking.

I've been kayaking now for 20 years, primarily in Virginia and North Carolina. Tons of sharks down here. I used to do a lot of shark fishing but the numbers of sharks now compared to 15 years ago or more pales in comparision to what we used to have. I encounter sharks all the time down here. Some very big ones. I've never had a close encounter while in the kayak. Have had them swim under me, by me, you name it. I have caught a fair amount of of the kayak and still not really an issue, just don't do it around docks or other structure or they will drag you right into it. Almost had my head ripped off about 10 years ago because a 6 footer thought it would be cool to drag me into and under a dock. That was real funny. Still didn't stop me from catching him.

Anyway, the close encounters I have had have all come while I was wading in the water AFTER getting out of the kayak. Many close encounters with them. Only a couple that I think were actually trying to eat me but they failed. :D

Keeping fish on a stringer (which I do) could create a problem. Just be smart. I constantly check my fish and make sure you have them attached such that you could dump them quickly because the biggest issue is a large shark grabbing them and then pulling you into a dangerous situation or flipping your yak as they are going to pull for all they are worth if they grab your stringer. I wade with a stringer too but have only once had a shark grab one and that is in over 20 years of doing this.

Not sure I would do this in Florida though where the shark population is much higher or other similar areas. I think they would be going straight to the cooler in those areas if I was keeping any.

Keeping fish on a stringer (which I do) could create a problem. Just be smart. I constantly check my fish and make sure you have them attached such that you could dump them quickly because the biggest issue is a large shark grabbing them and then pulling you into a dangerous situation or flipping your yak as they are going to pull for all they are worth if they grab your stringer. I wade with a stringer too but have only once had a shark grab one and that is in over 20 years of doing this.

Not sure I would do this in Florida though where the shark population is much higher or other similar areas. I think they would be going straight to the cooler in those areas if I was keeping any.

Don't you think enough of us in the NE keep our catch in nets, game clips or stringers that we would have heard a report by now? Frankly I'm surprised there's not been a report of a blue attack on someone's stringered catch.

I was advised not to use a stringer in FL. I had a 24" keeper red under my knee in a rented Native Ultimate 12 (with pretty high gunwales) thinking maybe I would try and transfer it to the cooler behind me, when it burst into a fit of flopping, nearly bit my nuts off and flopped straight out of the boat! I almost capsized trying to grab it. Had I been in home waters good habits would have had it on a stringer or in a bag before the gripper came off. Grrrhh, live and learn.

Don't you think enough of us in the NE keep our catch in nets, game clips or stringers that we would have heard a report by now? Frankly I'm surprised there's not been a report of a blue attack on someone's stringered catch.

I know a couple guys in NJ that have had some chomps taken out of fish that they had on a stringer over the side of the kayak. It happens infrequently, but not everyone hears about it.

I think having a stringer of fish would encourage a lot of attention from predators. IMO you'd be better off using a bag to hold your catch.

As far as sharks around you shouldn't have a lot to worry about ... Kayaks taste terrible