Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8fishermen

Got my reels back today!!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Received One 5500C. One 6000. and Two 5501C3 of which one was upgraded with a dual bb levelwind. Jerry Foran serviced, cleaned, and replaced parts and drags in all of these. They all are in perfect working order now! I rushed home from work to find them waiting.

I spooled the dual bb 5501C3 up with 30 lb 832, slapped it on my newly reworked 9' 1-4oz mhx blank and rushed off the football field for some test casting. After playing around a little and getting the reel loosened up I removed one of the break blocks. I was only able to cast smoothly with a 2' drop. I use an overhead cast at the location I fish. That is usually the best cast I have found that will work (steep rip rap that is hard enough just to stand on much less step into a cast). Sometimes I can find a rock stable enough to use a swinging Uni-tech cast but not often.

After a little practice I was consistently hitting 103-106 yards. My best cast was 116 yards. All these were made with a 2 oz lead Do-It casting spoon without the hook attached. On a good clean smooth cast the line would never lift off the spool and I would never thumb the spool until touchdown. I had a few overruns on touchdown when I was not quick enough on the thumb. I could feel when I would have a bad cast and would have to thumb the spool to prevent a backlash.  I think with a little practice I will be able to get a longer drop and loosen up the spool a little more. I may add a couple of static mags to this reel and try removing the other break. Not sure if that will help or not but might be worth a try.

With an overhead thump type cast and the above setup with a 2 oz spoon, what is a realistic distance goal to set? Any tips or suggestions?

Seems like you are looking for advice so here goes.

I think those distances are very good for that rod and reel. Go ahead and play with the brake blocks you can always return to where they started .Do not try to mag

That reel ,it will not make a signifcant difference.

If you must have mags buy a reel that comes with them ready to go.there are several good ones out there . Personally l believe diawa has magnetic cast controls perfected, as in lexa 300 or 400.

Yep. I was looking for advice. Thanks for replying. The magic number I am trying to reach is 120 yards. I would like as much distance as possible when on the field but actual fishing distance to the back of the wall is only 120 yards. I have longer rods that will soon be in play once they are wrapped but for now I am limited to 9'.

I was thinking of static maging this reel not knobby magging. I already have the magnets so to mag it would not be a big deal. I am not sure about fishing without any break blocks. On the field I may be able to but I don't think I could fish like that on the rocks. I would like a little less break than 1 block offers but no breaking scares me. I may give it a shot just for the heck of it. A little practice and I may decide I can fish with no blocks and be just fine. Just trying to work up to what ever point is practical for actual fishing.

I sure do have fun standing on the field and letting it rip though. Might have to build one for distance just for the heck of it. :)

I pulled the other brake off and added the static mags to the side plate. After a little playing around in the yard to get enough stacked up in the side plate to affect the spool speed I headed back to the field.

I played around with the mags till I had the spool running loose and free and keeping pace with the outgoing lead. I was able to hit 90-103 yards into the wind with the last few cast getting consistently around 100 yards. With the wind I was consistently hitting over 100 yards with the long cast being 374'. Towards the end of the session I was staying in the 110-122 yard range with no thumbing throughout the cast. At this point the wind was not much more than a light breeze at my back. These were all overhead cast with 18"-24" drop with the wind and a 12" drop into the wind. 

One thing I did not mention was this rod is a spiral wrap if that makes any difference. 

Overall I am very pleased with the results. Now I am excited to get my 11' wrapped and put a 6500 on it!

I am still open to suggestions if anyone has one. 

Today I was able to install an adjustable mag to the 5501. So far so good. I only have 70 yards of open yard to play with here so I tied on a .7 oz 3" cork to play with. I was able to get a longer drop down to the stripper guide. Before the adjustable mag I could only get away with a 2' drop or a back lash would ensue. I was able to adjust the mag so the spool was running very smoothly with no breaks and a little side to side spool slack. The best cast I had went 3 yards into the woods so that is about 73 yards which I find to very good considering the flight of the cork. The cork flies well to start but slows down rapidly so there plenty of room for a backlash. The only backlash I had was when I backed the mag out too far and the free spool overran the cork. I cant wait to go to the field and air it out.

After reading this thread ( http://www.stripersonline.com/t/514614/i-knobby-mag-my-avet ) I decided to give my Abu a try. I had to make a mod as the side plate on Abu's are too thin to tap so this is what I came up with. It seems to work very well and is sealed as the rubber washer seals the inside and the rubber threaded bushing with locktite on the threads and grease on the rubber bushing seal from the outside. 

I used a 5/16" bit to drill the hole for the stainless 1/4" T-nut to go through. I used this same bit to drill the seal out of a lock washer which made the magnet fit perfectly inside the cup left from the bit. A drop of locktite on the lock nut and bolt are all very secure with the magnet setting perfectly in the center. The bolt is 1/4" X 1 1/4". I left the threads in the bushing and used locktite to secure it to the bolt that way it is sealed and the whole thing turns easily when greased but stays put because of the tight fit. 

Here are a few pics. In the third pic you can see the mag sitting inside the nut. The three washers in the third pic are form where I had it static magged. 

Hit the field again this afternoon. After a several cast to figure out the new mag I started letting it rip. I was able to cast into the wind better than ever. I was able to hit 103-105 yards into the teeth of a 14 mph wind with no overruns. Going with the quartering wind the last 4 cast were 127, 130, 123, 122. The wind was quartering in the direction I was casting and there was a huge belly in the line going into and also with the wind. Not sure I can get much more out of this setup. Guess I will have to move on to the next project.