Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

rod drying motor setup

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

i just got a small 30 rpm motor to use for a drying motor. the shaft is about 5/32" long by 5/32" wide. what do you guys suggest to connect the shaft to a pvc style chuck that i will be using.

thanks.

ACM105.jpg

You can buy a rubber bladder from Donnart rod building supplies. cut a little hole in the middle fo the bladder for the rod to fit in, and attach the bladder to the PVC cup via plastic tie strap.

I used that for long time, it worked well...

BC

i figured out a great solution. i went to my local true value, and hit the hardware aisle. lots of good stuff. anyway, i spotted a 6mm socket cap screw (basically a screw that uses a hex wrench to tighten). the fit of the hex part over the 5/32" shaft was pretty darn close, and good enough for my needs. it's tight enough that i can shake the motor pretty hard, and the screw stays put. very nice. anyway, i'll use that screw and a few bolts to connect my pvc chuck to the motor.

i also got some thumb screws to use to center the rod while drying. i was looking for little rubber grommets to cover the end of the screw to protect the rod, but i remembered that i have some "soft body" for fly tying. this will give me the rubberized protection that i was looking for.

it's amazing what you can do if you actually think about the problem. hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

here's a picture of the style of bolt that i'll be using. this should help someone else understand the connection, since a picture is worth a thousand words. tongue.gif

ACM100.jpg

here's a picture of the style of bolt that i'll be using. this should help someone else understand the connection, since a picture is worth a thousand words. tongue.gif

ACM100.jpg

Good stuff!! I've got 8, 18, 30 and 40 rpms from AE, and had no clue (big shock there, huh?) how to rig something up to the 30. Now I know. GReat idea!! Now I can forget it, and months later when I want to use the 30, I'll forget all about this thread, like the 1244 other ones, lol.