Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycman

lami SB1363M-2

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

hi all, planning out a few new rods. need some advice.

i need a conventional chunking stick to match an avet sx with 80lb braid. will be used with 4-8oz plus a head. that means chucking 12-14oz sometimes. i want to go glass for $$ reasons, and need a 2pc. i am basically limited to this blank. specs say a 12tip and rates it 4-8 but ive read otherwise posted here. can i cut it back to a 14 and cut 6" from the butt as well to beef it up (and 10'6" is a fine length for me)

has anyone cut up this blank before?

Cutting the butt from a blank will not add any more "beef" to a rod. The lifting power is what it is.

That blank will chuck all that weight and more. Just be sure to get a nice long swing so you load it deeply and slowly.

hi all, planning out a few new rods. need some advice.

i need a conventional chunking stick to match an avet sx with 80lb braid. will be used with 4-8oz plus a head. that means chucking 12-14oz sometimes. i want to go glass for $$ reasons, and need a 2pc. i am basically limited to this blank. specs say a 12tip and rates it 4-8 but ive read otherwise posted here. can i cut it back to a 14 and cut 6" from the butt as well to beef it up (and 10'6" is a fine length for me)

has anyone cut up this blank before?

Cutting it the way you specified is fairly common among rod builders who make a 10-6 stick out of the 3M blank. It stiffens it and makes the rod easier to wield, but as conyondiver said, it doesn't increase the payload. It will handle 8 and a chunk at full length and it will handle it trimmed.

Actually guys cutting it from the butt will soften the blank a bit. It will however load easier.

Todd

Cutting it only from the butt would, but my experience is that to get a 14 tip you have to take about 4" from the tip. End result is a slightly stiffer stick than a full length 3M. I have 2 done that way, one honey and one black. Comes out as something between a 136 3M and a 121 3M.

Now I'm confused... A slight reduction in tip length does indeed make a rod feel a bit stiffer do to removing that tip flex but is the blank actually getting stiffer? I mean, the wall thickness and taper are still a constant. I think!

For really getting out there I like a long rod (so long as it is short enough to have good swing weight and modest wind resistance) for the heavy stuff. I used to goof people out around here using a 7' conventional outfit and an AVA 17 with a pinch of fuzz on the tail. I can chuck this thing about 100 yds. I'd love to see this rig in the hands of Mr. Arra!

CD

so it seems i am on the right track here.

some of you say that blank will handle plenty with the 12 top. 8+ a head? really? will the 14 tip be better for casting those weights?

i know cutting from the butt on a 2pc will have no effect on the rods power, but 10'6" is enough rod for me to handle.