Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gooch

unbalanced rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I recently built a Lamiglass Ron Arra 8'6" 2 piece rod thats rated for 1/2 - 2 oz. I forget the blank number. I put 5 fuji bsvlg in order 50, 40, 25, 16, 10 and tip top. Its got a cork tape handle with a fuji plate reel seat. The current reel is a vs 200 but I plan on getting a vs150 for it. The problem is that it is too top heavy. I put the reel back as far as is reasonable but still too top heavy. It gets annoying after a while to plug with. Starts irritating my wrist. If someone can help me out I would be grateful. Thanks.

This is relatively easy to fix. Here is what I would do:

Go into a tackle shop and purchase a small box of freshwater splitshot the size of BB's.

Remove the butt cap.

Pour some of the splitshot into the butt end of the blank. Start with about one ounce of shot.

Tape over the butt end of the rod to hold the shot in place.

Mount your reel and then see how it feels in terms of balance.

Adjust the amount of shot in the butt until you are comfortable with the balance.

Remove the reel and then pour out the shot into a plastic cup.

Mix up some slow cure epoxy glue and pour the shot in with the glue. Mix thoroughly.

Carefully push the mixture up into the butt end of the blank.

Glue the butt cap back on and stand the rod up on its butt end and let it dry overnight.

Gooch,

I add weight to my rods in a similar fashion to Al. Another issue I see with your rod setup concerns the use of large BSVLG guides. The Arra blanks are pretty light and have a rather narrow taper. If I remember correctly the tip is around a 6. The beefy BSVLG guides might be a bit much for the blank, especially if you underwrapped the guides and put two coats of high build epoxy over the wraps. I have 8' and 9' Arras that I set up with single foot guides (combo of high frame and regular frame) and they are a joy to cast.

Regards, Mark

...I put the reel back as far as is reasonable but still too top heavy...

If you move the reel further back, this would cause the rod to feel more top heavy. This may be one cause of the problem. Try moving the reel towards the tip a little and see if that helps. Obviously, moving it too much will cause other problems as the butt grip will become too long.

Billy

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to play around with the methods you've described. Never thought about the guides being too heavy. I was originally going to build it in the new fuji concept way with more guides but something stopped me. I guess its hard to break tradition. I wonder if it would've been worse. I'm also having problems with the ferrul. It isn't tight enough. It always twist when I cast but I've temporarily solved that with electrical tape. Thanks again - great info.

Billy40 is absoutley right. Before you put onthe foregrip, you should mount your reelseat with a reel on it and mark the balance point. Now turn the reelseat around and check the balance point again. You will see that it is different. Without a counterbalance (that would make the whole rod heavier), the more you have in front, the more your gonna feel like you throwing a sledgehammer.