Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalmouthFisher

roller guides and casting?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I was wondering what the advantages of roller guides are. I'm looking into getting a boat rod in the 25-50lb range that would be used for chunking yellowfin tuna and sharks, but would also like to use it for slinging eels to stripers from a boat close to shore. Is there any reason I might want to use roller guides or a roller tip and if so, would they hinder the ability to cast eels?

Thanks

FF,

You are looking at tweo completely different rod requirements. The tuna/shark rod will be no more than 6-feet long with alot of butt power to lift the tuna up at the end of the battle. It would not make an ideal bass chunking rod.

I ahve used light LWR Aftco rollers on casting and chunking rods. However, I would recommend the Fuji SIC ring guides.

Al

Thanks for the advice on the guides and the recommendation of SIC rings. I realize that the two jobs require two different rods but for the time being I just want to get the tuna stick.

I am still curious though for no particular reason whether or not roller guides affect casting and to what extent. I don't mean the lightweight rollers (Aftco claims they cast equally or better than traditional guides) but the regular roller guides. Also what is the true advantage to using roller guides and tips compared to a good ceramic guide?

Thanks once again for the advice.

FF,

Standard roller guides are much too heavy and stiff resulting in a poor casting rod since they would adversely effect the blank's performance.

The advantages of rollers over ring guides are primarily for fish fighting since there would be significantly less line friction using roller guides.

Al

interesting thoughts Al, last year there was an article related to the ability to cast with roller guides in a local magazine, they devised a contest between two individuals using custom rods one with rollers and the other using ring guides,they took turns casting both rods and the result was very little difference in casting distance, one important note both rods were 8', I would think on a shorter rod the ring guides would allow for better distance,I think the answer as is often the case is tape on both type of guides and test the rod before actually building one way or the other

John

Hi John,

My guess is that they were using the Aftco lightweight single foot roller guides. They work great on a casting rod and I built several for myself. However, the question was using the standard roller guides and I still stand by my previous comments.

Six weeks to Orlando.

Best,

Al

Al while doing some research on old fenwick blanks and being as organized as I am I found the article on the test cast comparrison ring vs roller it was done by Aftco and you are 100% correct they did use the new LWR guides for the test

see you in Oct.

John

John,

I use the Aftco LWR guides on my albacore and bonita rods casting 3/4-1 ounce metal with 10 lb test line. I have also built rods for both snook and permit using these guides. They are excellent when using braided line as well.

Al