Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJohn

GP 964 Conventional

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

TimS, you mentioned building a GP 964 blank into a convetional. What guides, spacing, reel seat and placement did you end up with? Al, how did you build your light rods on this blank. Sound like just the rod I have been looking for. I would use it for lighter plugging (I saw the 1/2 to 1-1/2 oz. rating from useres) from shore or shallow water wading, maybe jetty weakies and schoolies...

Thanks,

John

John,

That is a sweet rod. I use it for casting small plugs, jigs and metal for weaks, schoolie bass and blues. I found it's also dynamite casting Deadly Dicks for albacore and bonita.

Here is how I set mine up:

16 inch cork butt grip

6 inch cork foregrip

#18 Fuji trigger reel seat

BRC19 butt cap

For guides use either NSG SIC's or BNLGH hardaloys in the following sizes: 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8 and a PST SIC tip.

Guide spacing as follows: from the center of the reel seat to the stripper guide 22 inches. From the tip to the first #8 guide is 4 inches. Starting with the first #8 guide increase spacing by 1/4 inch when using thw same guide size. When you go up from #8 to #10 increase the spacing by 1/2 inch and maintain that for the remaining guides.

Do a stress distribution test (static deflection) and adjust the guide spacing as required.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 06-15-2001).]

Thanks Al,

I feel that its almost built. I really think it is great that you share your extensive experience, which in this case is almost proprietary information with us all.

Thanks again,

John