Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

Greetings

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Welcome, Mr. Goldberg!

How's about a little intro and background from you? I assume you're a Lawn Guyland or some NY zone resident from some of the older threads. Things certainly get can get a regional focus - my turf is the DelMarVa peninsula - but I am aware of some the better rod builders in New England and elsewhere and here at SOL is the first time I've encountered your name.

But then again, I'm one of the 97,343 surf fisherman who never heard of Ben Doer until he got a line of rods with his name on them wink.gif

Bill, my mistake...I shoulda put up Al's bio that he sent me! redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif Anyway, here's the bio...yea, it's a little late, but here it is...I'll be making a page of it soon as an intro for Al, but here it is in the raw form:

Born in Brooklyn and grew up on the boats in Sheepshead Bay. As I kid I casted plugs and bucktails for striped bass off the Coney Island jetties and the seawall in Gravesend Bay long before the Verazzano Bridge was built. My fishing hunger and curiosity finally brought me to Montauk by 1959.

Went to college in Arizona and did my graduate work in New York. I fished a few times out of San Diego on the early long-range tuna trips down to Mexico back in the 1960's Over the years I have fished from Maine to Florida, the Carribean, Mexico and the Pacific side of Central America. However, my first love is still fishing under the craggy cliffs of Montauk and the northside of Plum Island, Orient Point plugging for bass from a boat.

I got into rod building in 1968, joined Rodcrafters in 1978 and became a regional seminar coordinator in 1995. I believe my interest in rod building has made me a better fisherman. I have learned alot about rod building and fishing from some marvelous people over the years. It is a continuing learning process. As a result, I have tried to pass on that knowledge to other by running seminars on rod building, speaking at fishing clubs and becoming active in the New York Sportfishing Federation in both their Teach-A-Kid Fishing program and as a speaker in their annual two day Forum held in Freeport, New York.

I have known Al Knie, Brian Mulholland and Lorry Mangan for about 15 years. They have acted as my combat field testers for new rod designs. They have constantly challenged me over the years to come up with a "Better Mousetrap" to meet their needs. We have been successful. I say we, because without their input and ideas I would not have become both the rod builder and fisherman that I am today.

TimS

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 10-02-2000).]