Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kylebass

Online site for Fly Tying materials

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a recommendation for a site to buy fly tying materials? I have been passed down quite a bit of tying equipment, but it’s mostly for freshwater flies. Looking to get some materials to tie up a bunch of striper flies during the winter doldrums.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here are a few: Saltwater Edge, Bear's Den, J Stockard. But, be advised: if you're ordering natural materials like bucktails and hackles, you are at the mercy of whatever the order packer pulls off the shelf. I usually will only buy that stuff if I can eyeball it.

Steve Culton

What do you plan to tie up? Decievers,clousers,squid,etc. It can help to "steer" you to a supplier.If you don't have a lot of experience in tying.You may want to get into a class or your local shop for advice.It will "tend" to save you buying the wrong materials.Trust me.............I speak from experience.My wall and cabinets can attest to it.

Thanks all for your responses, definitely some great leads. My experience thus far is limited, have been tying my own clousers and deceivers for the last season or two. I plan to continue the same, but would like to add a few more to my repotoire. I'm in NJ so I do a lot of day trips to the nothern part of NJ shore are as well as guite a few weekend trips to the cape (brewster flats, monomoy, outer beaches etc.) so will be looking to tie bunker, sand eel, herring patterns etc. I have attended a few tying classes and look to do a lot more as well as a few books that were handed down or bought used on Amazon.

I have ordered from the 4 suppliers listed above and would recommend all of them. I also order from Feather Craft Fly Fishing and would recommend them too. Sometimes I am looking for a specific material or special color that is used in a fly recipe and I can't get everything that I need from one supplier, so I have to place orders with several suppliers. If I had to choose which one I like the best, it would be Bear's Den. Their store in Taunton, MA is a great place to visit. I am on Cape Cod in the spring and fall and I try not to miss a visit to the Bear's Den. One of the things that I really like about them is that they ship quickly and they e-mail keeping me up to date on when the order ships. They also only charge the actual shipping cost. If you order from them for the first time the shipping cost might be a little confusing. Your order may say something like $7.75 for shipping, but when they ship out your order they adjust the shipping to the actual cost and charge your credit card at that time. Scott, Sarah, and Amanda are all great folks to deal with.

If you are looking for hooks, J. Stockard has a sale going on for January.

Tim

I'll bet I have ordered from twenty different places over the years. Many are long gone. Feather-Craft has the worst shipping policy. They would rather gouge you on shipping than keep a customer. Bear's Den got it right. I wouldn't hesitate buying buck tails over the phone with the den's people unless you are looking for a particular shade of olive. Saddles and capes are more subjective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBMX View Post

+100 on BearsDen, there shipping policy is the best in the industry

Right on, and Scott is very helpful if you have questions about materials or equipment. Have been very pleased with them after using one of the "big box " online stores.

My tying materials supplier is Stone River Outfitters in Bedford NH, who bought out Hunter's Supply a few years back. My experience with them has always been of a positive nature. I ask the questions of what I am looking for, and they give me options. Always professional and they have a lot of knowledge of their products. They also have an interesting recycle program for your quality unused gear.

Another vote for Bears Den if he doesn't have it you don't need it! Lol and only charges actual shipping. Placed an order a couple weeks back & was told $7.50 shipping I got a message with a refund saying it didn't cost that much to ship!

There service is 2nd to none!