Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigJohn

OLD Blanks

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

My father recently gave me some old rods and blanks (10+ years old). The blanks are good quality Fenwick blanks 10-14 feet and the rods look like Lamiglass blanks that need complete rebuilds. They had been stored in the attic and for one reason or another he never used them.

I am wondering if these blanks are still any good and not dried out. Do you know of a way to test them. I do not want to spend lots of money buying components for dried out rotten blanks, but if they are good, I can wrap 10 new rods and do some experimenting with actions, length, trimming etc..

Any thoughts?

If the blanks were made within the last 20 years than the resin bonding system used should have kept the blanks in good shape.

However, my recommendation would be to first strip off all the guides and carefully inspect the blanks for any nicks or bruises.

Then I whould spine each of the blanks and rods and do a several repeated stress distribution tests on each one. If there is

any structural problems with the blanks it should become apparent. Listen for any crackling sounds when putting a load on the rod. It could indicate stress cracks in the wall of the blank.

Al G.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-04-2000).]