Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

What's On The Bench.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am a homebody for the holiday weekend and will be in Montauk next week to do battle again. Hopefully we will have decent weather this time.

I am finishing up two rods with just one more coat of finish to apply to the butt wraps. There is an Arra 1322 conventional and a Rainshadow SW70LM conventional for fluke and sea bass.

I am starting on four more rods as follows:

- Lami GFC72XXH tuna stick spiral wrapped.

- Calstar GF700L bass eeling rods spiral wrapped.

- Seeker CLB702 conventional porgy/sea bass stick.

- Cape Fear LBLT conventional eeling rod.

Hey Al, I am just starting a CGX90H I think it fits a nitch right below the CGBT841M. I am going to give it a spiral wrap. It was nice that Rod Crafters just had an article on this process. This is going to be my first attempt at wrapping this way. I've seen a bunch if different ways to do it but still havent decided on what to do with this rod. I'll either make the transition with 3 or 4 guides leaving about 5 on the tip section. Take care and good fishing up north.

Bruce

Hi Al: Any comments on the Rainshadow blank for its intended purpose? Is it spiral wrapped? Would it be one of your "first choice" blanks, or just OK?

Peter,

When I select a blank for a particular application I look at several things:

- Quality of manufacture. Is the blank straight and does it have a smooth finish with no cosmetic flaws?

- Durability of the blank - Blank material and wall thickness are considered.

- Does it have the proper action I am looking for in a particular apllication.

- Cost of the blank relative to the total cost of the finished rod and is it within my budget.

The Rainshadow SW70ML met all of the above criteria. While I have not fished it yet, the finished rod looks like a real sweetie.

The blank is rated 10-20 lbs. It will easily hold 6 ounces fishing braided line and be a fish catching machine for fluke, sea bass and porgies.

Yes, There are many other excellent blanks that I could have used. However, I wanted to try the Rainshadow composite series of blanks and this is the second in that series I have built. After field testing them I will give you a full report.

Al

Hi Al!

I just finished a breakaway 1266 as a spinning rod for my brother-in-law's brother (who did not charge me for a root canal). It turned out really nice -- so nice that now my brother-in-law wants one.

I am about to start a 9 footer conventional based on an alstar GSP 1087 blank (not longer made) for a good friend of mine. It will be payment for some furniture that I am building for him.

I had thought I was finished with building for a while but new opportunities keep popping up! smile.gif

Tom