Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HL

Gluing and turning cork grig for fly rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Haven't built in 40yrs (spinning/boat). Used to shape grip rings by hand. Would not do this with a fly rod.

Questions:

Where do I get a good lathe?

Can one really do the job with a drill set-up?

I want to form the grip on the blank. How do I set the compression jig up so that I dont glue it to the grip? And how do I apply enough pressure to squeeze the glue out without pulling the cork over the reel seat?

Thanks

i buy a steel rod buy from the hardware store.or you can get a mandrel from a rod building supply place.i rub on a thin coat of parafin.then glue the rings together on it,clamp it. then chuck it up and turn it down.

Slide the grip up and down the blank to make sure there IS enough glue contacting both surfaces. The blank can be cleaned with denatured alcohol. This is were prep work pays off, if you tape up the grip with masking tape, clean up is as easy as removing tape. the whole assembly is then clamped using a cork ring jig. check the rod for final spline alignment and let her rest for the night. Good Luck with it!!!

Glue up the rings , ream out the center to fit blank at grip location. Apply glue inside the cork and on the blank. Put together. Clean up the glue on the rest of the blank with a rag and alchohol. let it all set up good then shape. Don't be too agressive about the shaping . if you pull out chnks of cork early on do to too coarse a grit or too agressive cutting its hard to get it smooth again.

i use my pac bay wraper sometimes but it kills the chuck.it is the cheasy plastic one.it has had a slight wobble since day one and doesn't turn perfectly true handle..if you get a wraper get the one with the new aluminum chuck.you can also buy the good chuck seperate for about 90 bucks.

oh yeah, if you use the wraper to turn down cork on the rod make sure tou use some low stick painters tape around the blank where the support roller o rings contact it if not you will leave marks around the blank finish.i did that on my first rod..

HL

You don't need a specific rod lathe to turn cork handals well. A decent half inch electric drill and two steadies will do the job very well indeed. The steadies need to be of the revolving type.

You have a choice of either corking up onto the blank and then turning or turning off the blank on a std steel manderel. Either way works well. This is actually quite a big job on a fly rod and it is difficult to do the whole process justice on a single post. It is not something you should just tear into in my opinion. The handle is a vital component to your rod functioning well.

There is lots of advice to be had on Tom Kirkmans rodbuilding.org site. As to the actual turning tools I use 0.5 inch thick MDF cut into rectangles about 5 inches long and 3 inches high. I epoxy 400, 240 120 and 80 grade wet and dry paper to them. I use a steady and this way you can keep your grips round and to to size you want them. If you work freehand with the paper cut into strips you will most likely get oval sectioned handles.

It really helps to make a drg of what you want and not just hope for the best as you turn.

All the best

Mike O.

Mike,

What is MDF???

Except in the initial stages of turning, the pictures on all the sites I have seen are using sand paper free hand. But I can visualize what you mean as a danger to uneven pressure that will produce oval grips. I am going to build saltwater rods which usually have full wells grips. How would you suggest I produce the "curves" in the grip. That being said, one of the reasons I would like to turn my own grip is that sometimes I would like to use the rear part of the grip and sometimes the forward section. I find that it changes the action of the rod a little. Production full wells restrict my hand placement. I will probably opt for more of a cigar shape.