Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guzz

replacing front eye

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

the ceramic insert popped out of the front eye on one of my rods.is there a way to replace the liner? or should i just put a new eye on? and how do you remove the eye? thanks for any suggestions.

guzz

Can't replace the ceramic ring. If you are talking about the tip guide, it is put on most rods with hot melt tip glue, so carefully heat the tube with a butane lighter or a heat gun and pull it off with pliers when you feel it loosen. Tip guides are specified by two numbers ie, 10-9 where the first number is the size of the guide ring(in mm.) and the second number is the size of the tube that fits over the tip of the rod measured in 64's. Measure the tip diameter about 1/2"-3/4" from the tip for a good fit. Re-apply with Fuji hot melt tip glue(any Wal-mart or K-mart)

guzz be very careful with the heat. Hold the tip up at a 45 degree angle. Heat the very end of the tube, slowly and a little bit at a time so the heat travels down the tube and indirectly warms the area where the blank is. I use a hot pad instead of pliers so I can feel how much pressure I am putting on the tip.

If the tip is hot melt glued on it will be no problem. &/0r if it is a big tip. But if its a thin tip say size 8 or less and especially if it was glued on with epoxy or cyan glue you need to be very careful. Too much heat can melt the rod tip.