Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad in Nj

Reel for 1204 ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am considering having a 1204 made up so I can reach out a little farther then my 1081L can get me at the moment.

I currently have a VS 150, Penn 700, Penn 706, Penn 710 and a Daiwa 2600.

Which one of these, if any, would be the best match for the 1204?

I'm currently using 30lb Fireline.

This is all about distance.

The 700 (predecessor to the 704) is ideal.

The 706 is actually a few ounces lighter, if your gathering guide is big enough. 50 mm will do.

Thanks guys, Ditch I tried to PM ya 'cause I knew you would know but that button is missing on your profile smile.gif

Why would the 2600 be ok and the VS 150 not?

Just due to the spool design, and not size?

Last question, what type of guides are preferred here, again, this is all about distance and will be used primarily on the sand in NJ.

If you're after distance, you want a reel with a long cast type spool. So, the Van Stalls and the older Penn's are out. The Daiwa would be a better choice. The newer Penn Slammers would be a good choice also. For guides, can't beat SIC's for distance, and since you're fishing from the beach, no reason not to use them.

If it's all about distance, then the Daiwa. I got one. I just don't like the way it feels lost on a 10' rod. You're going to have to step down from 30# Fireline, too. Try 14 on the 2600.

I have BSLVG guides on my 1204 but it's set up for reels in the 704/706 or VS 200/250 class. 50 mm gathering guide, down to a 16 mm and a 16 mm ring size tip. For the 2600 you'd probably want the hi frame guides and start with a 40HH

I have BSLVG guides on my 1204 but it's set up for reels in the 704/706 or VS 200/250 class. 50 mm gathering guide, down to a 16 mm and a 16 mm ring size tip.

Mine is exactly the same paired with a VS250.

If you're fishing in the sand I would think you'd rather have a sand friendly reel like a VS or Z rather than something with a longcast spool.

If distance alone is what I'm after, the 1204 probably isn't the rod I'm going to grab.

-spence

I would like to stick to the VS or one of the larger Penn's for the reason you say Spence.

I'm assuming the larger Penn because I'm not dropping another $500 on a reel anytime soon.

I am looking for the big brother to my 1081L to throw the same type of stuff upto 3 oz max but I want to do it for the distance difference another foot will get me.

What's your recommendation instead of the 1204?

Am I looking at this incorrectly?

It depends on what you want to throw. The 1204 is a great beach rod for small/mid-size stuff. If you're really going for distance and are going to be throwing mostly 2-3 ounces, I'd look at the All Star 1208 or something similar.

At least for me, I would probably throw something a bit heavier if distance was my prime concern.

-spence

[ 10-17-2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: spence ]