Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

1088 Blanks

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

DJ or Al... My main NJ jetty stick right now is a Sabre 1088 wrapped conventional and I am looking into getting a new blank that's taper isn't all in the tip. I was wondering if you could do a quick comparison for me. I haven't had a chance to wiggle a Rainshadow 1088 or an Allstar 1088 to compare them. Are they pretty similiar to the Sabre? I am thinking GSB1081L, but I reservations of that controlling a real good fish around rocks. Thanks for you help!

Charlie

I haven't had the chance to actually fish with a Batson blank yet. Just holding the blank side by side with a 1088 Pac Bay (same as the latter-day Sabres), there's a couple of obvious differences. The Batson, like the original Sabre IGSC 1088, is about 2" shorter and has a full size 8 tip, like the originals. The newer Sabre/Pac Bays have a "tweener" tip that varies from 7 to 7-1/2. When you poke the ceiling with the blank, the last few inches of the tip on the Batson doesn't "J", or flatten, as much as the tip on the newer Sabre/Pac Bays does. I'm thinking the Batsons are more like the original Sabres than today's versions by Pac Bay are.

I've never cast a finished All Star 1088, but again, from ceiling poking, it seems like a much more "substantial" blank than the current Pacs.

I took a little off the tip of my first "original" Sabre, but the rod isn't an "all in the tip" taper. It bends proggressively the first third of the blank. The biggest fish I took on it was about 23#, from a LI jetty, in the last hour of the incoming tide. The current wasn't full-bore, but it was still running. Beat the fish like an old mule wink.gif

Does Rainshodow =Batson?

I got my Sabre from Mike CC, but I think I got the Batson cause I got matte finish. So, I may have it already. cwm24.gif It has put the brake to fish up to 22 lbs for me. It is great for 1.5 and up, but I was looking for something to cast bombers and megabaits a bit better.

Thanks for the breakdown DJ!

Charlie

Ditch

I have a pac bay 1088 from a few years ago and a 2001 1088 Rainshadow. The feel is almost identical, although the RS is 8'10" which makes it a true 9fter all together with butt cap and tip. I also have the 1208 which needs to be completed as a conv. set up. Great blanks for the money.

The 1087 might be a better choice for lighter lures.

BTW the 1088 is being tied with low rider guides.

Charlie,

Check out Tim's lami 1201l that might be the perfect ticket for ya either spinning or conventinal that stick was tossing a bomber a long way when I just went out with him the other night so you might want to check that one to choices are so much fun.

What is really wierd is I got to check out Paul Naj 1088 when I was building mine and It was totaly different action so was Otters and another guy I work with Come on and Register biggrin.gif Mine did take a full size 8 tip and is more of the top 1/3rd bend I don't now I'm rambling now

Mike

Another searcher in the quest for the Holy Grail. I've come the closest yet with my latest build. Unfortunately I only know of two that exist. Bill Klein has the other. Hey toddv if you are listening. The GLB108 1MH fabric pattern layed up on the GLB108 1M mandrel makes a sweet light plugging rod.

For the lighter stuff---you want the 1087. You won't regret it. It might bend more, but it has some guts to it. You can cast it all night, too.

WB--have a little more time now. I got my first Sabre 1088 in October of 1998. I trimmed the tip maybe 3/4" so the 8 tip would fit snugly. I liked the rod so much I ordered another from MT in the summer of 1999. This one, it just felt different. Lot softer tip---even allowing for the 3/4" I trimmed. Couldn't move a 2 oz Atom popper using mono. That's when I started to wonder. I put the blanks side by side, and was surprised to see a 4" difference in length. Then, the builder posted on another internet site that he'd been buffaloed into buying some Sabre look-alikes by a distributor named Versatex. As he wasn't sure which blank mine was made from, he offered to build another on a genuine Sabre/Pac Bay for free. Turned out, what I had first was a genuine Pac Bat/Sabre--it was a black blank, the replacement was maroon, but they were the exact same rod, exact same taper, exact length, exact butt diameter---which is another difference between those and my other rod, as the original Sabre has a noticeably thicker butt diameter. So---there are some variations among the Sabre blanks out there. Part of the problem was, no one I asked was quite sure who made Sabre blanks----the originals were supposedly made by a company called Cascade Graphites. There was talk that Pac Bay was having them built offshore and that was a reason for the variations from blank to blank. But, I've seen some Sabre 1088s that have a very fast tip, and some that are stiffer and have a more parabolic bend.

I don't know how true this is, but someone who runs a local shop told me the "original" originals have the blank number etched in red near the butt of the blank.

Charlie M:

I had both the 1088 and 1089 Sabre and did a side by side comparison. The 1088 was faster tapered and a bit weepier in the tip, Yet each of this blanks cast ~ the same in the lower end of the range, but the 1088 topped out at about 4-5 ounces or so. The 1089 has a high end of about 6 ounces. IMHO the best choice in a conventional jetty rod is a 1089. It will cast a bomber or a megabait as far as a spinning rod and I will also cast a clam and a 5 ounce Sputnik sinker a full 100 yards on a standard cast. This rod is a gem! You can test cast mine if you wish. The GSB 108 1L while a great stick is IMO best made up as a spin rod.

The Rainshadow models that you are speaking of are the original actions that Don Mook and I developed at Cascade Graphite. You are correct in the others being manufactured offshore.

The item numbers available in the original one piece actions are the 8' SW967, 8 1/2' SW1027, 9' SW1087-1088-& 1089, 10' SW1207-1208-& 1209.

All of these models are available in either matte clear (-M)or transparent gloss black (-TB).

The complete made in USA Rainshadow product line can be viewed at www.******************.com

Bob,

I have been asked if there is a comparison chart between Rainshadow and Lamiglas. Could you provide such a comparison list, so guys will know that a certain RS blank is comparable to a certian Lami?

Thanks for a great blank.

Billy

I have never fished the Sabres, but I do have an allstar 1088. That rod is a fairly fast action, mostly in the top third of the blank, but on a good fish or casting heavy lures, over 2oz, the rod will flex right up to the mid point. It is kind of hard to explain, but with a bomber the rod appears to have an extremely fast action, almost all tip flex and nothing else. It will throw a bomber about as far as they will go, but will also throw a 3.5oz jig with authority. The difference is, that with the larger lures and jigs, the rod feels like a much more moderate taper, it will flex through the top half of the rod. It does not loose any power untill I try to throw 4 or over, it will do it, but it looses some power. As far as having a fish on, with a small fish, 10lbs< it flexes pretty much in the tip, anything larger, and most of the rod seems to come in to play. It does not flex down to the grips, like fiberglass, but it does have a fair amount of power beyond the tip section of the blank. The only place I have ever fished the rod and felt undergunned was at the ditch, it will do it, but not the ideal rod for a rip like that. Especialy since it has a tough time with jigs that are over 3.5oz and is realy much happier casting 3. Largest fish I have caught on that rod was a pretty fat 40"er, no problem at all in a pretty good surf around rocks. Put a good bend in the rod, but it could easily handle a lot more on the other end. Hope some of this is helpfull. Good luck with the search.

Angryeel

I recently purchased a Rainshadow 1089 which I plan to make into a conventional jetty stick for fishing the Newburyport Jetty this summer. I will let folks know what my first impressions are of the blank once I receive it.

Tom

Angryeel--the 1208 acts much the same way. You press the tip against the ceiling, you think, "fast taper". But there really seems to be a lot more it can give when you lean into the fish. I had to try to stop one about 25# from going around the end of a local inlet jetty in June of 2000, and it ripped her right out of harms way when I leaned into it. Of course--I wasn't exactly checking the shape of the rod's arc when I was doing it wink.gif

Another rod that never seems to bottom is the XRA 126 1MH. The 1322 on the other hand loses its power if you high-stick it---it'll work better iif you let it take it's best power curve, which is about 10 o'clock (where noon is vertical).

Ditch, what would you say is the maximum jig payload for the 1208? Also, any idea on the max jig weight on the batson or rainshadow 1209? I seem to remember hearing that is is much less than the allstar 1209. I have never had the chance to handle either and am looking for a heavy plugging/jigging rod. Right now I am leaning towards a lami 1201m, but still looking at other options. Thanks for any help on this one.

Angryeel