Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aqualab

Squall vs. the disconitnued 525 Mag

11 posts in this topic

Hoping the Penn Rep can help clarify and/or shed some additional light on the two reel's differences and similarities since finding any specs on the 525 Mag is proving to be difficult since it is a discontinued model. A side by side comparison?

So what is/are the differences between the two reels other than the 525 was made in the USA and the Squall is China, the 525 had a slider or larger knob (Brit version) for the mag adjust where the Squall has a sleeker knob, the spindle on the Squall is knurled and has line out rings, instant anti-reverse bearing and HT100's............ 

Is the Squall a renamed 525 Mag with the above mentioned improvements? 

Are the gears the same material and bearings the same number and grade? 

I see in Europe they have a 525 mag2, is that just basically our Squall but they kept the old name and made it a version 2?

I read on the forums here that the 525 mag will hands down outcast the new Squall........... is there anything that would lend merit to that or just another biased opinion not backed up by any fact?

Thank You,

Bill

The Squall 15 bearings are exactly the same as the 525, I ordered a set of ceramic hybrids and they popped right in. The QC on the China produced stuff is not the greatest, but the reel isn't that expensive as a result of being manufactured in China.

I have been casting my SQL15 for about 3 months strait now and I believe this things casts far. The good news is you can tweak the SQL pretty easily to get it to run with any reel out there I believe. The only issue I found after a bit of research will be the spool balance for tournament style casting.

Oh and the knob on the Squall is horrible, place your thumb and fingers together on one hand and just hold it like that for a while until it cramps up miserably, and yeah that's what it's like to hold the new SQL15 handle. Visualize a T-Rex trying to reel in a fishing reel, cause that's how your hand is gonna feel.

I just wished Penn made a new handle like the fathom or torque have on theirs, and a gear set that pulls closer to 40 inches of line per turn cause when you're way out there it takes an eternity to reel it in.

Thanks for the info ExpoxJ. I found some youtube videos of the brits reviewing and casting the 525 Mag2 and it looks just the like the Squall so assuming same reel with diff names. They prefer the new style of magnet control knob over the old slider. 

I thought I read somewhere that the handle can be adjusted somewhat for individual preference? I guess you can't change out the handles with a torque's or Fathom's? How about just replacing the knob - Penn or a custom maybe?  

The Squall 15 bearings are exactly the same as the 525, I ordered a set of ceramic hybrids and they popped right in. The QC on the China produced stuff is not the greatest, but the reel isn't that expensive as a result of being manufactured in China.

I have been casting my SQL15 for about 3 months strait now and I believe this things casts far. The good news is you can tweak the SQL pretty easily to get it to run with any reel out there I believe. The only issue I found after a bit of research will be the spool balance for tournament style casting.

Oh and the knob on the Squall is horrible, place your thumb and fingers together on one hand and just hold it like that for a while until it cramps up miserably, and yeah that's what it's like to hold the new SQL15 handle. Visualize a T-Rex trying to reel in a fishing reel, cause that's how your hand is gonna feel.

I just wished Penn made a new handle like the fathom or torque have on theirs, and a gear set that pulls closer to 40 inches of line per turn cause when you're way out there it takes an eternity to reel it in.

Expo, The Torque star drag handle assembly will fit the Squall 12 and 15.

tony

Aqua,

I'll see if I can track down a 525mag to take a side by side picture with the Squall. I pulled this info from a previous thread

The Squall gearbox is definitely kicked forward, and the clicker is upgraded from the 525.

The biggest difference is that the Squalls have a more "European style" cast adjustment; a full-rotation dial instead of the slidy, so it will be much harder to accidentally change your setting.

The 525mag2 is the same reel as the Squall, just a different name. There was an issue with the word "Squall" over in Europe.

Here is some info comparing the reels.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/849058/penn-squall-vs-saltist-20-vs-penn-mag-525

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/759845/penn-525-vs-squal

tony

Thanks Tony,

Good to know, now the question is how much will it run me to replace the original handle?

Cheers,

Expo

Expo,

Here is the part # and cost for the black Torque handle assembly.

$19.43 1229501 024 TRQ40

tony