Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Dog

Butt Length on Rods

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

How critical is the butt length behind the reel on a rod. I've got several conventional rods with butts of anywhere from 24 to 31 inches. I have found the shorter length butts to be much more comfortable and easier to cast. If I shorten the butt on the longer ones to about 26 inches how will it affect the rod's action,they are all graphite blanks.

Thanks

Jay

Freeze mister!! smile.gif

The answer to your question is... It depends!

First thing I would do is cast the rods you want to trim and choke up on it to where your desired butt length is. Can you still control the rod? Does it feel tip heavy during the cast? When building rods, I go with a butt length where the rod can be easily controlled by the caster. Usually, the stronger the caster, the shorter the butt, within reason. This maximizes the "whip" of the rod and allows for deeper loading of the blank. When the cast finishes up, your left hand should be down along your left side (right handed caster), not out in front of your stomache. If the butt length feels to long (it should never get in the way due to it's length) you might need to trim it a bit. Anyhow, see how those rods cast when you choke up on them. Choke up a whole lot to see the contrast of out of/in control. This will give you an idea of where to start.

Good luck and go easy so you don't end up with a tomato stake icon14.gif

CD

Take it from someone who found out the hard way!

Shorter is not always better!!

I had a SMB 108 3 built for me about 3yrs ago and against the advice of the builder wanted the butt shorter than his recommendations.

Well to balance the rod it required quite a bit of weight in the butt. Needless to say I fished it 3 or 4 times and found it not to my liking.

I ended up having the weight drilled out and having the butt extended by 6".

So now I have a SMB 108.5 3 cwm27.gif

Whats are the sticks? and whats the inteded use?

Just remember its very easy to remove but there never the same when trying to replace cut off sections.

CD I have to disagree with you on your statment about stronger casters would benifit with shorter butt sections.

Dave,

Thanks... My wording is a little poor there!!

What I was getting at is a stronger person can handle a rod with a somewhat shorter butt. Also, within reason you do get a bit more distance from the rod. If the butt is too short to handle, you can't wail on it hard enough to get it fully loaded. Deeper loading=longer cast so long as your form is good. A friend of mine saw a distance champ in England throw a weight nearly 100 yards with an umbrella. I guess he's the Lefty Kreh of conventional casting smile.gif

CD

The rod I'm most concerned about is a Breakaway LDFC100H the length from reel to butt is 29 inches and I'd like to take it down to 25 in. I've got it matched with a 7000BG Narrow spool. That I use for throwing Bucktails in a place similar to the CC Canal. I'm 6ft 230lbs but I've got short arms 33 in sleeve which is why I'd like a shorter butt. If I hold the butt under my arm pit and flex my elbow slightly it's 24 inches to where I would palm the reel.

Thanks

Jay

Jay Dog

For sure its your rod and your money spent. So if its really something you wnat to do then have at it. Thats what customs are all about. That rod was built on the breakaway /AllStar 1209 blank. That rod on its own can be a bear to load with anything under 4 oz. I would never think to shorten the butt length. My arms are shorther than yours and all my 1208's and 1209's are at 28 and 29 inches. places that I stand at the canal when i fish at times might require me to coke up a bit on the bottom of the handle. I just find it nice to have a larger handle to fight fish with as well as being able to lean into it when that extra distance is needed. and that will never happen with a short butt.

Dave thanks for the advice. I've only used the rod a couple of times.I think I'll wait a bit before I do any thing to it and see how it fels after a lot more experince with it.

Jay