Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leather Neck

Blank Help for Newbie

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to build my first rod and was hoping to get some help in selecting a blank. I've done a fair amount of reading and research, so I hope I alteast have a decent idea of what's going on.

There is no doubt this will be the first of many questions, so I'll offer my appreciation in advance.

I'm looking to build a 9ft (1-peice) rod for Stripers. I typically use lures from 3/4 - 3. More so in the 3/4 to 2 range, but would like the flexibility of going to 3 for the occasional tin or wood. The upper limit doesn't have to be optimum, just doable.

From reading prior post and manufacturer's specs, I'm leaning towards a 1087 (Rainshadow or Patriot), but there were a couple of others that I found intriguing:

Lami MB 108 3M

Lami SMB 108 3M

Croix F90M-BK

I found conflicting info on the Lami's, so I was wondering if some on could shed some light on those. The croix seems to be rated (and priced) right, but I couldn't find much about it.

It's the first rod, so I'd like to keep the blank under $100. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again...

Mike

Off the shelf I like the XRA 1083 or 1084...I think you would be more than happy w/ the 1083 for the range you posted...Less than 1oz seems kinda light on my 1084.

S/F

Mike

I think your looking at the right blank(Patriot or Batson 1087). I built myself one last month and it feels really nice. Ended up selling my Lami 108 1L after I built it!

If your going to be using braid with this rod I would suggest going with Fuji BHVLG's for the first two guides and then single foots the rest of the way. Makes for a really light rod.

The XRA 1083 is a very sweet blank in the range you are primarily interested in but it will exceed your $100 budget. Price it out, if you can afford it you will find it is well worth the extra dollars. The Rainshadow 1087 fits and is an excellent product. The 2 lamis you mention are both fiberglas, the (MB) or (SMB)"S" glass will have a different action when compared to the Graphite XRA or even the composite Rainshadow. This is NOT bad just a different feel. All things considered I think the Rainshadow is your best bet. And yes, I have built one set up exactly as Bud Fan described.

Steve

I would say hands down in that price range the Rainshadow 1087 is the winner,ideal for up to 2oz, or the 1088 if you plan on throwing 3oz plugs.

biggrin.gif

I've got a rainshadow 1087 all speced out, just not built. It feels awesome. Very light and most importanly very cheap. I think I paid 42. for it on sale !!!

I'd suggest two rods as well. IMHO 3/4 oz. - 3oz. is just too wide a range. I bet the 1087 would throw 3, but I'm not sure how well it would do it.

Good luck, and tightlines --

Oh if you end up with the 1087 PM me. I've got a bunch of info on different set ups for that rod from searching here.

Thanks for the input guys. Rainshadow 1087 seems to have the most positive feed back, so I think that's the one.

Stroth - I'll probably take you up on that. Looks like where in the same neck of the woods, too.