Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHoll

Guide placement on GSB120 1L

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Al,

OK, I took the plunge today and purchased the GSB 120 1L. The guys at Sea Isle hooked me up. I ended up with Fuji BSVLG guides in the following sizes: 50-40-30-25-20-16. The tip is a SIC, size 12. What spacing do you recommend I use with these guides. Thanks for your help.

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

BH,

The spacing is approximate. The final position of the stripper guide will be determined by the size of the reel and line you will be using. You will need to tape the guides in place and test cast it to determine the final position of the stripper. Once that has been determined then the final position of the other guides will follow.

Place the #50 stripper 35-inches from the face of the reel.

Place the #16 guide 8 inches from the tip.

Space the remaining guides moving from tip to butt in 1-inch increasing increments:

9, 10, 11, etc.

Al

Al,

Thanks for the info. I understand the spacing is approximate and I must test cast, etc. I just needed a starting point. . .

JC,

I'll be using a Nautil 6500 with braid.

What do you guys think, do I need the #50 with this set-up, or should I start with the #40? The gentleman at the tackle shop said he usually builds these blanks with 6 guides not the 5 I had originally asked for. Aren't more guides better for distribution of forces on the rod (ie LARGE fish)?

Thanks again for your help

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

BassHoll,

Wait for somone a little more experienced than I with the 10'. But with how limp some braids are, the 50mm or 40hh is too much guide IMO. You dont need it that far away from the blank or that big of a guide because you dont have to deal with the gigantic stiff loops of mono anymore. The braid virtually straightens out after two or three guides from what people tell me in HS videos. SO IMO you lack the need for the super high frame guides, but Al G and others know better than I. You should read his articles on the site, and do the stress distribution which will allow you to fine tune the guides so that they bend in a constant arc. With the line not traveling at any sharp angles under load. He goes through everything. When I went looking for builders and told them I was thinking about doing it myself (after prices scared me) they all told me good luck finding anyone who will give you spacing. Then I learn on SOL that spacing is individual to every reel/blank/line/guide type that is made so there is no "book" spacing for any setup. Hence "Custom Rods".

JC

JC,

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I know about the custom spacing and test loading. I bought the flexcoat book last year when I reworked my dad's old 13' single piece fiberglass rod. (What a rocket, but you can only cast plugs for about 10 minutes before retiring your lower back for the seasonbiggrin.gif).

I figured I would ask about the spacing, etc. here because so many of you guys have built on this blank before and could give me some insight. So does anyone else agree with Jameson?

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

BH,

Jameson is correct with his comments. I like the idea of six guides with the guides you have using the #50 stripper. If you drop down to a #40 then go as follows: 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 16 plus a tip with a 16 ring.

Al

Al,

If I use the #50 stripper and the Nautil 6500 with braided line, what is the disadvantage? Will I get longer casts, less wind-knots, etc if I use the #40? And what will happen if I decide to go to mono on the reel?(I don't think that would happen, just want to know all my options.) Thanks again for all your help.

BH,

The standard 50 will work with either line. As jameson pointed out, braided line is alot softer than mono and comes off the spool in tighter loops. That is why the 40 stripper will work if you fish braid only.

If you want to have the option of using either type of line than go with the 50 stripper. If you do, then do your test casting using the mono when positioning the stripper guide.

Al

For reference BassHoll, With a 710z and the 40mm stripper placed 39 1/2" above the middle of the reel seat, I cant get any line slap on a cast using up to 20# ande on that reel. I bet with a 704 It would slap I should try that. And also the loops coming off the spool seem to resist at this spot. As Al pointed out however, with braid it does seem to work nicely however. There are lots of guys here using 6500 reels on their 1021L customs, or so I thought. They should be chiming in, I have handled/cast with a 6500 reel, and loved it. But not on this blank. The spool is wider in general than the 710z spool from what I saw, so 50# whiplash would probably pour off of this thing pretty fast!!!

Believe it or not the first time I saw a 6500, other than a black one, I couldnt believe my eyes. I didn't think they made them. What was more surprising was an elderly (LATE 60's early 70's easy) sort of shrugged his way onto a NS beach on a windy sept day in the distance. He began walkign my way and stopped to talk. Instead of the standard old penn/mono/glass stick, this guy was armed to the teeth with habs/beachmasters/weird patter bombers all with VMC's. So eager to show me all this stuff, it was like he knew that I wouldn't expect him to be into all the "fancy" stuff. His business end was a 6500/braid and a factory 8' (or close) loomis rod. He was like this old guy gone to the future, and he said he didn't have a computer nor know how to operate one. Back to the future style... Maybe he was just in town and borrowed somebodys stuff??

JC

JC

Al & JC,

Thank you both for your advice. I truly appreciate it. Hey JC, maybe that old timer swiped his son's stuff!! Maybe he just had a sharp eye for high quality equipment. I'm sure if you ever see him again you will ask. . .

Looks like I got my work cut out for me. If there is anyone out there who is using a Nautil 6500 with the Lami 120 1L custom rod, and you would like to share your experience, I sure would like to here your ideas!

One last question before I go(I hope!!) Do you recommend any additional glue besides the adhesive already on the corktape? Is there any special preparation of the blank prior to applying the corktape? Ooops, that was two questions!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks again guys!!!

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

Just wanted to give you an update. I found the prep info on the corktape in another thread. I began building the rod this AM. Got the corktape on and the guides in place. I test loaded the rod to ensure there were no sharp bends. I then test cast and made final adjustments. I ended up dumping the #50 guide. After positioning all the guides and test loading, it just didn't look or feel right. Ya know what I mean? Anyway the rod cast like a rocket! All that is left is wrapping and epoxy and then I'll let it cure til spring!! Thanks for all your guidance Al & JC.smile.gif

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

It is all Mr. Goldberg, basholl. He guided me step by step through 4 projects here in his forum, and the 40mm thing is just personal preference. I think that the 50mm just looks too big as well, no need for the big guide with braid, it barely touches a 40mm anyway, if it is spaced right. Good luck with the 1201l, I was thinking on getting one of those, but am looking at an AllStar 10' instead.

JC

[This message has been edited by Jameson (edited 01-24-2002).]