Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chucky

allstar 1265 setup

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

hello everyone,

i am building my first 2pc rod. allstar 1265.

after searching the archives my questions are ferulle wrap? my setup puts the first guide on the bottom half of the rod (spinning penn 5500)

can i move up the first guide so it also becomes part of the ferulle wrap? my online time is limited so i would like to thank everyone in advance as i may not respond to the input immediately.

chucky, no problem if the first guide ends up on the ferrule if that is where it belongs. I do not have vast experience on two piece rods or one piece rods for that matter. But I have wrapped a few two piece rods where the first guide landed right on the ferrule and it is not an issue at all.

The only pain is when you are assembling the rod to fish you will not have an easy way to line up the top section to the bottom section.

You can put some alignment indicators using various methods. A drop of paint or a fancy thread thingy or an inlaid feather or nothing at all. Just something to consider.

I build quite a few 1265/2's and sometimes the gathering guide is just below the ferrule on the butt section and sometimes its on the ferrule. It all depends on the length of the butt desired and the distance to the gathering guide based on the reel and first guide size/style chosen.

If you do put the guide on the ferrel , wrap the ferrel with A size nylon and put a coat of epoxy on. Then after it cures , wrap the guide over it and finish the guide wrap. Its importatnt that the ferrel is strong and the epoxy probably won't penetrate to the ferrel wrap if you try to just coat after wrapping the guide on.

thanks again for all the help!

i'm finally back online still have a few bugs.

i am using bsvlg guides starting with a forty on the bottom half very close to the ferrule.i have not chosen a reel yet any suggestions under 125$

i figured that the closer gathering guide would work better with a variety of reels. this setup also seems like it distributes the load better.

test casting with 15lb. line resulted with no line slap.