Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
docrich

loose reel seat

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Is there any way to fix a reel seat that has become loose (ie it will twist around the blank? Its a St Croix with a non-metal seat. Would love to repair it without going thru the trouble of removing all the cork and guides

------------------

Carefully drill four to six very small holes spread out round the reelseat. You just want to drill through the wall of the seat and not into the blank.

After drilling the holes, get some gel type superglue and place the thin nozzle tip into each hole and squeeze in some glue. Make sure the seat is first in alignment with the guides.

After injecting the glue, stand the rod up and let the glue cure for about ten minutes. Then check to see if the seat is glued into place. Inject more glue if there is still any movement.

Let the rod rest for one hour then get some slow cure paste type epoxy glue and fill up the holes. Scrape away any excess that oozes out of the hole. Wait two days and sand the filled hole smooth and blacken with a permanent marking pen.

Sounds like the lovely BD Elite graphite spinning real seat.

Al, I have had the same problem on mine repeatedly. I finally had it replaced with a Fuji seat.

In your opinion, which was the better way to go?

Todd

I am not familiar with the seat used on the BD Elite. However, a loose reelseat is a common problem on production rods. What I recommended was a quick and inexpensive fix.

I only use Fuji on all but offshore rods and for offshore stuff I stick with Aftco. You can use the best seat. However, proper gluing technique is just as important. This is a topic I spend alot of time on when I teach rodbuilding.

Al