Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Extending a rod...again

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Want to make a 10 foot surf rod 11 feet, but the blank only comes 10 feet. I know i need a pice of extra rod blank to shove up the bottom of the blank.

What I need to know is how to make a smooth cork tape handle over this intersection of the 2 blanks?

not that i have done it but , i would epoxy the extension up into the rod & then take some fiberglass tape (the kind used for drywall),place a thin layer of epoxy ,embed the tape , put it on the rod dryer & let it dry . after it has dried i would sand it smooth & apply cork tape .the fiberglass tape will make up for the difference in tapers in the blank & the insert ; and make it a smooth transition . derf

Billy,

This is how I would do it... Do the blank in the butt thing first. Then mix up some epoxy (30 min or longer is up to you) and thicken it with some filler material. There is a bunch of different fillers you can buy from marine supply houses to mix up a paste that varies from chopped up fiberglass/ kevlar/ or carbon fiber. Also, there are powders from microballoons (check your radio control hobby stores for this) to baby powder. To keep things cheap, I would & have used the baby powder. Chuck your blank with regular epoxy and glue the extension in first. While it's curing or after it has cured, mix up some paste and glom more than you need on the transition area. After the mix has cured, you can use the late to help you sand down the area. You will find that it sands very easily and smoothly. Seal with a light coat of epoxy again to prevent any water infiltration and you're done. Hope this helps.

Best,

Ed

Billy,

I believe I remember Al recommending that one way to do it is to make a blank sleeve for the extension. In other words, you'd use two sections of scrap blank for the extension, one would be the 12" extension itself that would have the same o.d. as the butt of the surf blank and the other would be a 8-10" section that would act as a sleeve connecting the two pieces of blank. When the two pieces are joined using the sleeve, there's a seamless transition.

On the other hand, I used derf's method before and it's worked just fine.

I see. So I have 2 options - one use epoxy and some sort of filler - tape or whatever. Or I make a "ferrule" for the extension.

Eddie - I'd be interested in seeing those 2 piece reel seats. This might be another option.

Billy

It would be my pleasure to show you how I did it, and if you had the time, we could cut one for your surf rod. I have extra aircraft aluminum left over so materials are not a problem. After I completed it, I wedged it horizontally against my hip and lifted a 25lb barbell plate to generate maximum stress on the joint. The rod and butt held up with no problems. This is the same butt extension that I showed Cap't Neil in the Lindenhurst Tackle Show that he liked so much.

May be if I can cut another one for demo purposes, Al G. can let me show it off at his rodbuilding workshop in 2003. wink.gif

I, like you, are in the process of moving homes. So I won't be able to do this until I unpack sometime in February. C'ya at the workshop!