blem or not

Rate this topic

CONEM

AL,I RECENTLY PURCHASED AGSB1201L FROM A ONLINE SOURCE.WHEN I RECIEVEDTHE BLANK I NOTICED THE BUTT END HAD A BUILD UP OF GRAPHITE ABOUT AN INCH LONG.I WAS TOLD IT WAS FROM THE BLANK BEING PUSHED OFF THE MANDREL. IS THIS TRUE? ALSO I NOTICED A SLIGHT SCRATH IN THE BLANK .ITS PROBEBLY NOTHING BUT HOW DO YOU DETERMINE IF IT IS A SCRATCH OR THE START OF A CRACK.

THANKS AL.

Clearly, you have a "Blem". The build up of the graphite at the butt can be cut off. However, I would carefully look at that scratch.

Run your fingernail carefully over the scratch. If your fingernail goes down into the scratch you have a problem. The blank wall has been weakened and will eventually break.

That is one of the problems with blems. In addition, I would thoroughly check the rest of the blank for any more scratches or bubbles in the surface. This would indicate additional problem spots.

Al

As Al stated, blanks from Lamiglas with the nub on the butt end are blems and are not warrantied like the first quality blanks. New Lamiglas first quality blanks come in a plastic sleeve with a tag on the tip end of the plastic denoting the blank and a printed label on the very butt end also with the blank model on it.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.