Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Harnell blanks??

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I just picked up two 10' "custom" surf rods, both marked Harnell. One spinning and one casting. Are all 10' Harnell blanks the same or did Harnell manufacture different blanks with different action and line and lure ratings? I have not yet received the rods so I can't see how they feel and I won't get a look at them for a few weeks as I'm headed south. Just curious about what to expect. Thanks

Harnell produced at least six ten foot blanks, all rather different. No way to really help you without more info such as you getting a good reading on the butt and tip diameters.

Two of the tens were two-piece sticks and four were one piece models so that could narrow things just a little. The legendary two would have to be the 542 - a fairly husky, but not unpleasant to fish blank - and the 552, which was a seriously husky one, and separated the men from the boys. And probably quite a few fish from their jawbones wink.gif

Lure weight ranges were always a matter of opinion, though you'll get some good ones here; Harnell never listed those, far as I know, and usually just stated a "Maximum line recommended".

I would say a 542 would start at about 2 oz and you could safely cast 6 as hard as you wanted.

The 552? I think you could cast a cinder block with one eek.gif

They are both two piece. When they arrive I'll post as much info as I can. I am looking forward to getting them for sure. The photos of the rods were poor and I won't know much until they arrive. Thanks for the info so far.

FWIW,the last catalog I have for Harnell (2002-3) list 2- 10' surf blanks, both 1 piece. #542 butt .875 tip10 wght.15.5oz. max line 36 (from the dacron era)

552 butt .875 tip 18 wght. 19 oz. line 50.

Saltwater spinning #756 10' 1 pc. butt .980 tip 7-7.5 wght. 13 oz. line 15-30 lb.

#806 10' 2 pc. butt .980 ,tip 7-8, wght.13oz. 15-30 lb. line.

Saltwater spinning & surf blanks #724 10' 1 pc. butt 1.075 tip 12, wght. 18.5 oz. 20-40 lb. line

#906 10' 2pc. butt.980, tip 10,wght. 14oz. 20-35 lb. line

IJudging from the photos which were not great, these are both older rods, either made by Harnell or custom made with 2 piece Harnell blanks. They both have the two separated grip set up and at least one seems to have the standard white grips. The other photo was too hard to tell the color of the grips. We shall see, but not until I get back from the southland. Thanks again.