Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

S-glass for plugging w/ braid

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Al,

Mr. Weeeweee's thread on braid and blank stress got me thinking that I'm gonna need to add another rod to the arsenal...for now, let's call it the plugging w/ braid rod. In the waters in which I do most of my surf/jetty plugging, it's rare if I tie on anything over 2 oz. In fact, my mid-Atlantic plugging bag is primarily loaded w/ bombers, megabaits, wind cheaters, mirrolure 72Ms (purple demon thank you), saltwater chug bugs, zara spooks, atoms, and some wood (smaller darters, surfsters, dannys).

When plugging with a spinning outfit, Whiplash 30# has become my braid of choice on a Daiwa SS2600 or Shimano 5000 size reel.

Now, I'm thinking that an s-glass rod might be the right tool for the job -- something in the 8.5 - 9' range. It would see jetty and sand action.

Question: Would an SMB 108 3M-2 fit the bill for the above application. I might even trim it 3" from each the tip and butt to bring it down to 8.5'? Do you have other suggestions on blanks that would better suit those requirements? Since I'm likely to be casting for hours on end, I'll need something relatively light.

Regards, Mark

p.s. My wife has us booked for a trip to the outlaws (Hartford, CT) the last week of June. There's a remote possibility that I could slip away for a day if I treat my mother outlaw real nice. Other than that, Mark's gonna be a dull boy this summer.

Mark,

The SMB1083M or 963M are ideal for what you will be doing. The SMB963M was the rod I used in Montauk 30 years ago casting leadheads for bass and blues. Then I switched to the Lami graphite GLB1081M with a little trimming from the butt. That was in the years of using strictly mono.

With the use of braided line the S glass blanks should be ideal.

Sorry for your upcoming dull summer. Mine is also shaping up that way.

Al

Excellent choice. Tim just wrapped one and it's fast becoming one of his favorite plugging rods. His is one piece, but except for the ferrule, the rods are identical.

According to the Lami catalog (always full of typos, be aware) the SMB 108 3M s-glass has a size 9 tip, the e-glass MB 108 3M has a size 7 tip. If that's accurate, I'd leave the tip section intact and trim from the bottom. But, I defer to Al's expertise on that.

I have the SMB 96 3M and that is one nice light bay/Sound rod in my area. Never tried it with braid, but this summer I'm going to give it a shot with 14# Fireline. Got a 550 SS on it, nice balanced outfit.

Mark

I have been using the smb963m for the last season with 20lb power pro from the beach and jetties(calm nite jetty stuff!) and i have yet to be let down with this rod!! i took it apart this year to put underwraps on it and so far it has performed better than last year since i cheated the collector guide up. I have thrown as lite as 1/4oz jigs up to 2 1/2 oz darters and even eeled a spot in long island with it once, and nailed an 18 lber in current on it with the eel (with 50lb braid though) in every test i have given that rod to date it has performed flawlessly IMO smile.gif

I just finished the overwraps on an smb1083m and as soon as i get more flex coat i'll be fishin with it, i love the combination of the whippier slower rod + braid, i still use a mono leader and the drag is initially set kinda low. I know that as soon as that rod is done it will be my multi use rod for jersey.

You guys are tempting me with another rod. I like the idea of a bit of a whippier rod. How do these rods compare with a similar graphite rod as far as physical weight? Mike

Al: Will a high frame single foot setup work okay on that blank? I want it to be as light as possible.

Ditch: Did Tim wrap his as a spinner or conventional? #14 Fireline is one of my favorites for plugging. It tests out much higher than 14# and, in my experience, has every bit the breaking strength of 30# Whiplash. Two seasons ago, I used it successfully on a 4500 SS. If the SMB 108 3M's ratings are more like 1 - 3 1/2 oz., as Bill mentioned in another thread, I'll certainly be removing blank from the butt.

Brian: Looks like you're building a very impressive arsenal. What are you going to hang on that new SMB108 3M? The potential versatility of the rod caught my attention as well.

Mike: I was wondering about the weight issue as well. Perhaps one of the other guys with a catalogue could provide some numbers for making a comparison between the graphite and s-glass blanks.

Regards, Mark

You guys stole my thunder... I picked up a gsb108 3m in causway the other day and I was like,... god I need that...

I was gonna ask al about it and youve done that. tx

I use a 9ft Eglass now and I wanted to upgrade..

GSB1083M with a VS 150 or Penn 710 sounds like heaven to me now... Ive scaled down from the 11 and 10's ive used in the past for my bay stuff, and Im looking forward to building this one...

BC

Mark,

goin with a camry 4000 for now and 30lb whip, but may upgrade to a mini neptune when they come out.

btw i think (haven't put em on a scale) that the difference in weight between the s-glass and a comparable graphite blank is negligible, maybe an oz. at most is my guess.

[This message has been edited by BrianZ (edited 06-01-2001).]

I have the SMB 963M wrapped as a spinner. According to Cape Cod Tackle's website, this blank weighs 4 ounces.

The other 8' spinning rod that I own, a St. Croix Tidemaster TS80HF, is definitely lighter than my finished SMB 963M.

According to a St. Croix catalog, the blank upon which the TS80HF is built weighs 3.10 ounces.

I haven't weighed either rod, but I think the finished S glass rod is more than an ounce heavier than the graphite. However, IMO it's not so much heavier that it should stop anyone from considering it.