Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Todd - Lamiglas question

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Todd, greetings. Did Lamiglas really discontinue the "Graphite Boat n Pier" series of rods? I didn't see it in my newest catalog icon25.gif

If so, are you planning on making another boat type rod on the GBT84 1M blank?

Last question - do you make a blank that is similar to the action of the GBT84 1M but longer? Maybe 8ft? That blank is among the short list of magic blanks smile.gif I've thrown 1/2 oz jigs on it...and fished 20oz for cod with it...and caught big fluke with it using bucktails...and lifted a pair of 12# cod outta the water with it. Yet it's got a tip that makes it a wonderful tog rod.

That blank in 8ft or even 9ft - leaving the first 7ft the same and just making it longer - mmmmmmm.

At 8ft or 9ft, it would make a spectacular bridge rod, too. Soft enough to cast but tough enough to reel up 8# critters. A rare property in todays world of higher and higher mod brittle-sticks redface.gifwink.gif

TimS

Tim - I've pulled on this rod, and it is a savage killer. I have heard stories that this particular blank (along with the GBT841L) are prone to breakage when using braid and hi-sticking/swinging fish. I don't know how true that is. I liked it when I pulled on it, but was swayed to the CGBT841M. Similar blanks, teh GBT is stiffer (obviously it is all graphite so it would be stiffer, duh)

Todd, I think Tim forgot to ask if you make it in Honey.

Tim,

That's "Graphite Boat and Trolling". wink.gif

Lami made the "m" in a 7'6" also GBT901M. I didn't realize they were discontinuing them.

Did you ever try a GLB961M? or a GLB961H? Maybe Todd can give you an idea of the difference in action between the GLB and GBT. I believe the GLB is a bit softer in the tip(that sounds funny biggrin.gif )

Billy, I've been using it for braid and have not had it break..but have had it bent to screaming more than a few times smile.gif It was the rod I used on the Cod Bash - swung more than it's share of 10-12# cod over the rail without a hitch. I've take tog to over 11# with it and it's my prefered deeper water tog stick when fishing wrecks - it rips rigs outta the wreck better than my honey 114 3F that I love for everything else smile.gif

As to being a problem when yer high sticking - that's an easy one - don't high stick wink.gif

Oz, if Lamiglas doesn't make anything like that blank but longer, I'll take a look as said Rainshadow blank, thanks smile.gif

TimS

Tim and everyone else that fishes with me - If you have a custom rod, new blank, or a new rod - you HAVE to let me know so I can play with it. We clear there Tim? I'll be glad to reciprocate when I actually have gear for the target species (and after seeing what BZ used, I definately have Cod gear)

Agreed on high-sticking, I'm just relaying what I've read about the blank.

Boy, does this thread evoke a memory ... Ken Gerhardt wrote a series of articles in the Fisherman, 25+ years ago or so, about cod outfits (there was such a fish at the time) which started with a GBT 841H. He liked it for jigging. That was the first time I heard of Newell reels, too.

Will do Billy, next time smile.gif Which if the toggin' don't happen this spring...I dunno what that's gonna be icon25.gif You gonna make me go flukin' or something? cwm13.gifwink.gif

Mully, I'd love to look at a GBT841H, I bet it would be the perfect cod stick icon14.gif

TimS

You gonna make me go flukin' or something?

If I have to "coerce" you into Fluking, after hearing what I heard about Fluke and 1# Bluefish, you're crazy. I'd just like to get a feel for as many different rods/blanks/reels as possible. I have all this extra money laying around that I can't figure out what to do with. cwm13.gifrolleyes.gifcwm13.gif

Did I ever mention how funny my and The Warden found this? 40.gif40.gif

Billy, I thought the 40.gif would make ya smile smile.gif

Hey Todd, you gonna give me some help here or do I gotta ask Bill Klein? wink.gif

TimS

TimS, I'd be happy to lend you mine, if I had one. Never did bother building or buying, since long range cod wasn't my bag. I did get a Newell 344, which he recommended. Don't believe I ever got a cod on it, though it did get me a 75 lb bluefin, twenty something years ago. .... Todd isn't reading his email I think, there's still an unread message of mine floating in his inbox. Hope all is well.

Hey, I'm sorry guys I have not been in the office probably 20 hours the past 3 weeks.

Tim, that blank is used in the "GSW 7 MHC-T" listed in out Muskie series. We also build a GBT901M blank which is featured in the "GC767" in the same location.

Brian....I have checked and couldn't find your email. Will you please re-send it? I don't open emails unless they state something in the subject line about fishing rods or model numbers.

Thanks,

Todd