Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BASSOMATIC

Pencil popper blank

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Bassomatic,

Why would a graphite blank be too stiff? What are the characteristics of a pencil popper that would require a softer tipped rod? I cast pencil poppers from a boat at Montauk last summer when the sandeels were thick and did not have a problem with a graphite blank.

Al

Maybe I should just hit the gym harder but after about 10 casts with my GSB 120 1M my arms are pretty tired.I just figured S glass being more parabolic might be better.

I've always used Lamiglass but if you recomend another manufacturer I'll try it.

Bass,

You make a good point. I actually try to do some light weight training over the winter to increase my upper body and arm strength. I few years ago I overdid it in the fall and ended up with severe tendonitis and tennis elbow from casting. I don't have that problem now.

Something else to consider is the length of your butt. You may be straining yourself if the butt length is not correct for you. What is your sleeve length and what is the distance from the butt end to the front end of your reelseat?

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-17-2000).]

Both the SSB 136 2M amd 3M blanks work great for pencil poppers, in S-glass. The 3M has a little more muscle.

My suggestion would be to trim the 3M only from the butt if it's too long as is at 11'4".

I'll second Ditch Jigger,the S-glass 2M and 3M blanks shortened from the butt to 10'are the ultimate pencil popper rods.Why?A limber,parabolic rod is necessary to properly work a pencil popper which isn't so much retrieved but WORKEDThe rod is shaken violently to bring about the desired effect and the reel is only used to take up slack and(hopefully)reel in a LARGE.

------------------

The roar of the surf,the taste of the salt and the scream of the drag.

CMSTRIPER@juno.com