Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Plains Drifter

Building a roosterfish rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've been going roosterfishing (also jack crevelle etc) on the Mexican Pacific Coast lately. Casting beyond the breakers is mandatory and often is beyond 100 yards. I've been using a Daiwa Emblem 12' (3-6) and doing well except that it is very fatigueing to bang out maximum casts all day long with it. It's time to upgrade the rod. I'm looking for less fatigue and a little more distance. I use 50 lb. powerpro with a Daiwa Emblem 5000 or a Tica Dolphin SF spinner. The rod needs enough power to really haul on a big strong fish. I usually cast 2 1/2 to 3 ounce plugs.

I've been intently studying the archives. I think something with low rider guides is appealing. I need something to occupy myself until my next trip (end of Feb.). I have not built a rod but I've built just about everything else under the sun (lures, guns, boats, my own house, etc.). I think me and rod building is a good fit.

The blank choices are overwhelming. Can a guru help me choose a blank? Is there an expert out there that is willing to help me if I get stuck? I'd like to put $200 - $250 into the rod.

Try Sergio. He posts sometimes on this board and the florida surf fishing board. He fishes with a Conoflex Gambit with lowriders. A picture of him and rod with fish is on the FLA board. At one time he was thinking of using a zziplex bass, but that is out of your price range.

Do a search on the Rainshadow SU1386F 11'6" 2-5oz, it is supposed to be a casting machine & super light. Right now they have a killer sale on Rainshadow blanks at fish sticks. I am having one built for my Daiwa Emblem ZA 5500.

If distance is all important you may need something longer than 11 feet. That being said, Rainshadow makes great blanks and Fishstics are great folks.

I have a Gambit, which is was Sergio uses and it is a great blank. I cast 2 oz with it but it is a little on the light side. Mike Foster (Frosty) of the Florida Surf Fishing board carries Conoflex Blanks and is good to deal with.

Another place to try is Hatteras Jack of Rodanthe, NC. Ryan White deals in a lot of long distance tackle is a great to deal with as well. Good luck,

Tom

I built a Rainshadow 1387F earlier this year. It is rated 2-6 oz. It is super light and a reel rocket launcher. Its a RATED 1 OZ. heavier than the 1386F,which you may need for the Roosterfish. By the way, I loved your account of the fishing trip. Wish I could go. Good luck.