Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

131,107 posts in this topic

Piracy plays a role in Outer Banks history featuring Edward Thatch aka Blackbeard who visited Ocracoke Island in the 1700s. Isolated islands such as Ocracoke were a good places to hide, sell goods to islanders that were hard to come by, careen their vessels in relative safety and be close to a main shipping lane where they could use a fast, shallow bottom boat to move through shoal ridden waters and plunder a ship that can’t follow them back into the shallow back waters. Pirates were able to travel inland waterways in shallow draft vessels to avoid paying taxes on their bounty at official deep-water ports. Blackbeard was confronted on Ocracoke by British Lieutenant Maynard and lost his life in battle there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, Slacker said:

Your drive is a bit less than 850 miles one way. 

 

But since you like driving and apparently distance is no obstacle, come down here and we will go catch largemouth... I will provide you with a kayak.

Gave up fresh water fishing when I bought a boat back in 1980. Yes my drive is way less, it's a 150 miles to my daughter's house in Barnegat. Come tog fishing in RI this fall if you want to meet me.

 

But I might take you up on your offer if I ever decide to visit my cousins in TN.

Edited by MakoMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Slacker said:

Piracy plays a role in Outer Banks history featuring Edward Thatch aka Blackbeard who visited Ocracoke Island in the 1700s. Isolated islands such as Ocracoke were a good places to hide, sell goods to islanders that were hard to come by, careen their vessels in relative safety and be close to a main shipping lane where they could use a fast, shallow bottom boat to move through shoal ridden waters and plunder a ship that can’t follow them back into the shallow back waters. Pirates were able to travel inland waterways in shallow draft vessels to avoid paying taxes on their bounty at official deep-water ports. Blackbeard was confronted on Ocracoke by British Lieutenant Maynard and lost his life in battle there.

I'm headed to Hatteras Village 3rd week of August.

Looking forward to a day trip to Ocrakoke on the FREE ferry.

Do you hear that NJ? It' **** ing free!! Both **** ing ways!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Sparky said:

I'm headed to Hatteras Village 3rd week of August.

Looking forward to a day trip to Ocrakoke on the FREE ferry.

Do you hear that NJ? It' **** ing free!! Both **** ing ways!!!

The Staten island ferry is free.

They arrested a guy down there a few years ago for selling tickets to the rubes and foreigner's 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Sparky said:

I'm headed to Hatteras Village 3rd week of August.

Looking forward to a day trip to Ocrakoke on the FREE ferry.

Do you hear that NJ? It' **** ing free!! Both **** ing ways!!!

Up in the PG they will start screaming about how that is a socialist ferry.  "Why are my tax dollars paying for that ferry?  I don't use the ferry... I go by canoe, if I go at all."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Slacker said:

Up in the PG they will start screaming about how that is a socialist ferry.  "Why are my tax dollars paying for that ferry?  I don't use the ferry... I go by canoe, if I go at all."

Oh, I hope so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparky said:

Oh, I hope so

You should go up there and start a thread about the great free ferry to Okracoke.  LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Sparky said:

I'm busy telling them that Ashley Babbit got what she asked for. With surprisingly little pushback.

I said, "Ashley Babbitt really didn't stick the landing on her vault through the window." in the Simone Biles thread.  I hope to gin up some outrage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Come tog fishing in RI this fall if you want to meet me.

Slacker,  pic? Again. It's been about two weeks, so.... Refresher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to get off the subject, if there is one, but I spent four hours at IBSP this morning tossing Gulp for fluke.  Landed about a dozen mostly short fish.  Had one that was a borderline IBSP keeper at about 16" and one beautiful 20" fish that will be the guest of honor at our favorite Chinese restaurant where it will be steamed with ginger and scallions.  :drool:  Photos after dinner.

 

Two pluses for the day was all the two piece bathing suits out there and nobody was next to me to elbow me away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Spigola said:

 

 

Two pluses for the day was all the two piece bathing suits out there and nobody was next to me to elbow me away.  

No pics? SMDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   2 members