Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

95,995 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Slacker said:

Nice big chunk of coal... anthracite coal, to be exact.  Picked it up as a souvenir while inspecting a dragline at an strip mine in central Pennsylvania.

C75E1750-5BC7-49FC-A1C1-7860B9A9702D.jpeg.6f90b89a9687394e6138e1fc5c02ffad.jpeg

You got that for Christmas 

2 mins ago, Kml said:

You got that for Christmas 

Not true.

But one year I did go to the NJ relatives for Xmas.  I brought everyone their gifts but also filled a cardboard box with charcoal and wrapped it with no name tag.  

We got to the end of the presents and there is still one under the tree but with no name tag.  We all disavowed knowledge of the present.  So, my sister handed it to my old man to open.

A good laugh ensued on the premise that Santa knows best and that the package ended up where Santa intended.

The mystery of that box of charcoal remains to this day in family lore.

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Even before this you’d have to be half nuts to be a young guy planning to run a party boat.

True enough unless you had some family connections. The Blounts of Frances Fleet fame have up and comers in their youngsters. Frank is grooming them in the business and Corey is already running most of the operation. I suspect that the same is true of the Bogans in NJ.  It's the initial capital investment that scares most of the youngsters off, and with good reason.  

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

True enough unless you had some family connections. The Blounts of Frances Fleet fame have up and comers in their youngsters. Frank is grooming them in the business and Corey is already running most of the operation. I suspect that the same is true of the Bogans in NJ.  It's the initial capital investment that scares most of the youngsters off, and with good reason.  

I don’t see party boat operations providing another 35-40 years of earning potential for a kid.  At least not in a seasonal location like the Northeast.  

I really don't care what we made selling off lots at the back of this property. It wasn't worth the bitching 4 year olds whining on their yards.

10 mins ago, Mike said:

I really don't care what we made selling off lots at the back of this property. It wasn't worth the bitching 4 year olds whining on their yards.

WTF you talking about ??? I only speak snapanese, not ukrainian, 

1 min ago, Snaps said:

WTF you talking about ??? I only speak snapanese, not ukrainian, 

The family homestead was on an expansive estate.  A portion of the estate was parceled off into single family dwelling lots and sold to third parties.  Now, Y can hear 4 year olds from his back deck and it is impairing his enjoyment of fine bourbon.

He said his family owned the whole block, traded lots for wine and now he has to listen to kids crying cause he has neighbors.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

Nice big chunk of coal... anthracite coal, to be exact.  Picked it up as a souvenir while inspecting a dragline at an strip mine in central Pennsylvania.

C75E1750-5BC7-49FC-A1C1-7860B9A9702D.jpeg.6f90b89a9687394e6138e1fc5c02ffad.jpeg

Why were you inspecting a dragline? Fire hazard?

So Slackers poll on when we will be able a have a drink in a bar may need some modifications. If we leave as the original that would mean ok we have a drink at a bar. The new realization is it will be six feet from the nearest neighbor. So the next question is when will a club with bodies packed together be open. BarA had a happy hour with food that last to I think 7 and it was packed with people older than Wendi and I. How busy do you think that will be this season?

8 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Why were you inspecting a dragline? Fire hazard?

Yeah.  It was valued at about $10,000,000 so they wanted the fire suppression system looked at.  Basically they wanted some paper in the file and a ready scapegoat if things went south.