Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

68,070 posts in this topic

Bottom Dwellers. If I were to snell my own hooks or make my own rigs for say puffers, kingfish etc. what leader (brand, #, type etc) material would you guys recommend?

Edited by Sheisty

21 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Long shank stainless for puffers. Their beaks can break regular hooks. This is info I got from a friend.

Definitely long shanks. I was looking at 2x long shank and 4x long shank hooks.specifically for puffers.

1 min ago, Sheisty said:

Stick to leader material and not regular line like berkley big game?

Berkley big game regular tests out at 150% of the strength on the label, and is a little stiff. Definitely long shank hooks, if for no other reason than to make hook removal easier and the fish aren't hook shy.  What do you guys use for bait? we used to use clams, so a bait holder hook might come in handy.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Berkley big game regular tests out at 150% of the strength on the label, and is a little stiff. Definitely long shank hooks, if for no other reason than to make hook removal easier and the fish aren't hook shy.  What do you guys use for bait? we used to use clams, so a bait holder hook might come in handy.

Clam. They did hit pieces of gulp at one point....weird thing was we seemed to be the only ones putting together a catch that day.

This rig endeavour isn't limited to puffers. In general, as many of you've said over the years it makes more since to make your own rigs. I started buying snelled hooks and attaching to my line, now I'm interested in doing it all from scratch.

9 mins ago, Sheisty said:

This rig endeavour isn't limited to puffers. In general, as many of you've said over the years it makes more since to make your own rigs. I started buying snelled hooks and attaching to my line, now I'm interested in doing it all from scratch.

It only makes sense (cents), when you are going through a dozen or more rigs in an outing. Not for Blowfish, Buy 2 pre tied rigs, it will last the rest of the season.

Screenshot_20190813-123306_Gallery.jpg

20 mins ago, Slayer said:

It only makes sense (cents), when you are going through a dozen or more rigs in an outing. Not for Blowfish, Buy 2 pre tied rigs, it will last the rest of the season.

Yes true, otherwise that stuff will hang around for years.  Not like tog where you are constantly breaking out loosing rigs and always tying new leadered hooks, turning over your inventory.

6 hours ago, mickrazz said:

They are NOT little necks. I’m surprised at you. 

5 hours ago, Tom T said:

Maybe something changed, but last summer when I was there and asked they only did whole belly clams when they could get them at a decent price.  When the market is up they are not buying them.

I can't see them frying top necks, but Peter will get all huffy and disparage me for questioning his old mind.

4 hours ago, mickrazz said:

Can you imagine how tough and chewy a fried littleneck would be. Maybe Peter can meet me there and we will ask the proprietor about the clams. Loser buys lunch.

4 hours ago, mickrazz said:

My lunch will be 1 dozen top necks on the half shell, 1 dozen oysters on the half shell and a pound of scallops.

You people think I don’t know hard shell from soft shell clams? :dismay:  

We’ll arrange a time for MP to buy me lunch.  KF “fried whole belly clams” are top necks from Sandy Hook.  Call them and ask.  I’ll have exactly what you’re ordering Mick, and thanks for buying.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

True, if you are just fishing occasionally for them (or anything else for that matter) but if you want to maximize your catch you can do so by tying your own multiple hook rigs. I like 3 hook rigs  but I have used 5 hook rigs when pinhooking scup. You guys will see my 3 hook sea bass rigs when we fish together this fall.

i like the fin strike rigs, I use his rigs for codfish. 

Edited by MakoMike