Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

55,945 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

I had lime Jell-O.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

There is more institutional memory in the Alzheimer’s ward than in this thread.

Otherwise we would dismiss food related discussion/opinion posts from you.  Your palate could be elevated and your gastronomic horizons greatly expanded if you were enrolled in a school lunch program. 

Edited by PeterO

5 hours ago, Kml said:

I trust Tom when it comes to food

Cause

Well just cause

And Peter of course

And Mick 

I'll just stop there

New Orleans is an awesome place on many levels, and the food is off the charts.  Had an office there at one point in the late 80’s and a partner who knew EVERYONE e.g. we would walk into Commander’s Palace and If Ella was there she would stop by and sit with us (the unknown chef at the time was Emeril).  Never saw a menu wherever I went with him and they would just bring food and drink.  Sooo many great places (historical places like Antoine’s (where Oysters Rockefeller originated) Arnaud’s (especially for Sunday jazz brunch) and Acme Oyster House and new places like Cochon).  Was there for a wedding a couple of years ago, great time, and the music scene is just a hoot.  Check out Tipitina’s, and my recent post in the foodeh 

Saw Bruce at a fais do do at Tipitina’s and Geno Delafose at  one in Lafayette.  Preservation Hall is another landmark worth going to.  So many things to do and great places to eat.  Took a swamp tour on an air boat, the driver stops the boat in a “cove” and jumps into the water to harass the gators- Cajuns are nutz!  

Crime happens, everywhere.  NO is less problematic than Baltimore IMHO and like any big city anywhere you need to pay attention.

I like New Orleans :D  And don’t get me started about Cajun country west to Lafayette and out to Mamou. Or Avery Island and following the Atchafalaya south to Houma.

Edited by PeterO

2 hours ago, PeterO said:

Otherwise we would dismiss food related discussion/opinion posts from you.  Your palate could be elevated and your gastronomic horizons greatly expanded if you were enrolled in a school lunch program. 

^ Boils steak in plastic bags.

Edited by Slacker

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Good luck this morning Gregg.

Not a lot of luck needed on this one just get knocked out and lay there. Unless they are still fishing for that bowling trophy that went missing in college. 

He is up late for an early morning appointment though. 

I love NO, and would go back in a second. My crime comments were mostly for the average south jersey/country bumpkin who didn't grow up with their head on a swivel.  Unlike Peter, of my half dozen or so trips to that city, about 4 of them were as a college kid with no money in my pocket.  So when a cab driver drops you off at your flophouse motel  in an unsavory part of the city and with concern in his voice asks how you are getting where you are going next, and in the same breath says "don't even think about walking"...I don't think he was just trying to get another fare.  I've also taken the hand of a young enterprising man out of my back pocket in the middle of Bourbon street where he was obviously concerned about the contents of my wallet.  (front pocket, you grunion!!)

As others have said, probably no better or worse than any other city as far as safety goes.  But like Newark (and generally unlike NYC) you could be in the safe confines near the Prudential Center and go down the wrong block and be in another world.

As wild as Newark is, somewhere around 80% of the crime occurs in 5% of the city. It would be odd if you guys got into anything, but I understand not taking the chance. Car theft in Newark is insane. How ever it really doesn't apply to you guys unless you live in essex, passaic, or bergen counties where they would take your car from your driveway. I have much more to worry about being in and around Newark on a daily basis. Carjacking, death, and/or robbery are all certified daily risks for me. However, someday's the risk is higher than others.

It's not like the 80's in NYC where everybody was running around getting mugged, grifted, and raped. 

15 mins ago, Slacker said:

8AFD84CE-DF26-40A3-9422-B10EAA08C75D.jpeg.6c0962061a65c4b832b5986639b1ded0.jpeg

Excellent!  I was worried you might not have a photo record of the day.  Also looking forward to the critique of post-procedure snacks.  Lay back and enjoy!

1 hour ago, Sheisty said:

As wild as Newark is, somewhere around 80% of the crime occurs in 5% of the city. It would be odd if you guys got into anything, but I understand not taking the chance. Car theft in Newark is insane. How ever it really doesn't apply to you guys unless you live in essex, passaic, or bergen counties where they would take your car from your driveway. I have much more to worry about being in and around Newark on a daily basis. Carjacking, death, and/or robbery are all certified daily risks for me. However, someday's the risk is higher than others.

It's not like the 80's in NYC where everybody was running around getting mugged, grifted, and raped. 

A friend who has season tix to the Devils invited me to a late season game a few years ago.  He’s driving us to the Rock, beautiful spring day, picks me up in his new Jag with the top down.  We get into Newark and he’s going to avoid traffic on McCarter by taking side streets.  Scared the crap out of me to watch heads turn - he was clueless.