Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

44,779 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, quiknet said:

I went togging on the downeaster yesterday with 2 friends.  We started out working the deeper drops for a few shorts and dogs.  Then I unsuccessfully looked for a wreck before going on to another one just south of a reef.  Got on that one dead on and started picking away.  Dropped down two very small white crabs on a snafu rig.  Get distracted by one of the guys I'm fishing with getting hung up and I suddenly realize my line has gone completely slack.  Like the kind of slack you get when your entire rig breaks off.  I take 2 complete turns on the accurate and I'm tight to a serious fish. It ran 4 times and came up to the surface about 8' behind the transom.  Guide him into the net and there are high 5's all around.

Didn't get a weight but he measured 26.5" and had a decent girth on him.  Maybe 12 pounds if I had to guess.  My previous PB was around 10.5 so  I think that this fish was bigger.  Plus catching it on my own boat makes it sweeter.  

2 more keepers for me after that one so I can say that some had limits...

pbtog1.JPG

pbtog2.jpeg

Nice fish there. 

13 hours ago, quiknet said:

I went togging on the downeaster yesterday with 2 friends.  We started out working the deeper drops for a few shorts and dogs.  Then I unsuccessfully looked for a wreck before going on to another one just south of a reef.  Got on that one dead on and started picking away.  Dropped down two very small white crabs on a snafu rig.  Get distracted by one of the guys I'm fishing with getting hung up and I suddenly realize my line has gone completely slack.  Like the kind of slack you get when your entire rig breaks off.  I take 2 complete turns on the accurate and I'm tight to a serious fish. It ran 4 times and came up to the surface about 8' behind the transom.  Guide him into the net and there are high 5's all around.

Didn't get a weight but he measured 26.5" and had a decent girth on him.  Maybe 12 pounds if I had to guess.  My previous PB was around 10.5 so  I think that this fish was bigger.  Plus catching it on my own boat makes it sweeter.  

2 more keepers for me after that one so I can say that some had limits...

pbtog1.JPG

pbtog2.jpeg

Good for you, nice fish, you are like the travelling willburys, down south, now up here for the fall tog bite dam !!!!

I will say this for the NK, it's a nice, clean boat. Cabin is nice and comfy, and  very wide at the rail.  Only fished the reef yesterday, I wish he would have tried a wreck, but he's the captain.  Lots of short action.

Check out this vid re: water quality from Monday up in Monmouth Bch.  Slacker says it should have cleaned up by now. :huh: 

Just now, Tom T said:

I will say this for the NK, it's a nice, clean boat. Cabin is nice and comfy, and  very wide at the rail.  Only fished the reef yesterday, I wish he would have tried a wreck, but he's the captain.  Lots of short action.

Check out this vid re: water quality from Monday up in Monmouth Bch.  Slacker says it should have cleaned up by now. :huh: 

Funny enough, not just me.  As I was rummaging around this fine establishment, I found a post TimS made on Sunday saying "there is absolutely no reason why the toggies shouldn't be biting their heads off on Tuesday".  Great minds and what not.

Go catch a couple party boat limits over the next week or so and I will consider changing my predictions regarding the quality of the 2018 NJ party boat tog season.  Now you have purpose.

(PS The NKIII LIT THEM UP on Saturday... what was that, two days after the storm?)

I hear ya.  Just weird...I would have thought the water would have cleaned up more by Monday.

I thought Tuesday was the day also, Monday was much better according to those who fished both days.

I got money.  I got time. I'm not afraid of the highway.  Supernova strings together some early - mid December limits and I'll join the fun.

27 mins ago, Tom T said:

I hear ya.  Just weird...I would have thought the water would have cleaned up more by Monday.

I thought Tuesday was the day also, Monday was much better according to those who fished both days.

I think that dude FarrellX fishes in a kayak.  He might be 200 yards off the beach.  Or not.

2 mins ago, Slacker said:

I think that dude FarrellX fishes in a kayak.  He might be 200 yards off the beach.  Or not.

Of course, now thinking on the weather, a kayak seems pretty darn unlikely.