Tfisher

Random

Rate this topic

159,841 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kings over Queens said:

Kids.  

Mine just shocked me!

The middle kid got licensed to be a mortgage broker but didn't realize that the job requires some personal and networking skills.  He's VERY shy.  I've been giving him tips, making introductions and invited him to a networking event tonight.  I knew he didn't want to go because he's uncomfortable and when I got home he's pushing me for times and looking at the clock.  His buddy needs someone for adult softball.  "So go, I don't care."  he commented about "maybe I'll be an adult and go." (to the networking event)

Just a second ago he finds me out here in the screen house, he's dressed and is going to the event, now, by himself, and will stay until 6 and then go to his softball.  I'm shocked.  Perhaps there is hope after all.

He's gonna be fine.  The fact that he is going and doing it is the proof.

20 mins ago, mickrazz said:

When I used to fish and was meeting Slacker for a coffee and something to eat, we always knew what was open early. We weren't dooshes. 

No doubt.  We were on top of our game at all times.  

20 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Call Safelite doosh. They would have came to the marina and fixed the window while you were fishing. 

True.

And why not tape up the back window and keep driving the thing until the shop gets the glass?

5 hours ago, quiknet said:

I'm an idiot and shouldn't have nice things.

This is an indisputable fact, yet I continue to go out, buy nice things, and feel anguish when I eff them up.

SMDH...

Friday morning.  I have Csteven and my buddy Gary coming out with me for an offshore cbass trip.  I did a bunch of prep work the day before.  All I had to do on Friday morning was grab my lunch and electronics, and then meet Corey for breakfast before we headed out.  

Wake up after about 6 hours of sleep and I feel really groggy, like I needed 4 more hours of pillow time.  But I figure an x-l coffee will have me up to speed in no time.  Get to the breakfast joint I'm suppoed to meet Corey at and it's closed.  Run down the road to Dunkin.  Also closed for another 45 minutes.  Head over to the boat, meet Corey and Gary and unload the rest of my stuff.  We're good to go at this point, but I still feel groggy and really want to get some caffeine before I start running the boat.  I tell Gary and Corey I'll be right back and jump in the truck to hit Dunkin.

My truck is parked in the marina at a spot that has a big downeast on stands right behind me.  I back up too fast and don't cut the wheel hard enough and my rear glass hits the chiune of the hull and shatters into a million pieces.  How's that for an Oh **** moment at 6 in the morning?  I survey the damage, and then head over in my now, well ventilated truck over to Dunkin.

Get back with coffee in hand, and head out to some pieces in about 100' of water to find very few of the big cbass I was looking for.  Plenty of jersey keepers but not nearly enough of NY legals,  Some small scup mixed in as well.  Run a little inshore to another piece and my diesel starts stalling when shifting between forward and reverse.  I bleed the fuel line but no help.  It continues to idle low and stall and I'm also down 300 RPM off what I shoud be at WOT.  Possibly a fuel pump or injectors issue.

Make it back to the slip uneventfully.  The guy with the big downeaster that I hit is there and asks me if I knew I hit his boat.  Kind of a dumb question if you ask a dummy like me, but I understand his concern and give him all my insurance info in spite of there being zero damage to his hull.  Gary and Corey split up the catch and I run over to the body shop.  We file a claim and it turns out I don't have renters compensation, so now I'm driving a subaru like a lesbian.

Don't know how long I'll be without my truck.  Body shop guy said it all depends on how long it takes to get parts.  Bringing the boat in tomorrow to hopefully get that right for tog season.

24 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Call Safelite doosh. They would have came to the marina and fixed the window while you were fishing. 

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

True.

And why not tape up the back window and keep driving the thing until the shop gets the glass?

Yea, givem your CC , either at the marina or have them come to the house, unless you also  have Body damage. 

Posted (edited)

Because  the new vessel, one of the filter systems, for the aux DG, uses DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR EXHAUST GAS  WATER FILTER SYSTEM, I told him it uses both types, one is a silica sand  and one is DE, the silica prevents caking/coagulating. 

I am telling him, you need to send a sample to the mineral supplier, otherwise, I gotta bring in 45 lb bags from asia, thats were the system was made, Which is stoopid, I know I can get the same stuff here, i am arguing with my old buddy , the senior port engineer. LOL he says just go to a pool filter supplier, I said IT AINT THE SAME CHIT !!!! 20 years nuttin changed. Retirement looking better and better

Edited by Snaps

41 mins ago, mickrazz said:

20 mins ago, Slacker said:

True.

15 mins ago, Snaps said:

Yea, givem your CC , either at the marina or have them come to the house, unless you also  have Body damage. 

Body damage.  The rear spoiler has to be replaced.   And driving a vehicle with a  cracked tail light and no center brake light would likely get me pulled over and ticketed. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

Double G, I'm haz a question.  

What was the thought process that drove you to early retirement?  Clearly there was some early planning involved. 

Well, it's like this.  I have always been mentally "old", LOL.  

Early retirement was one of my earliest career goals; I mean right after they said "welcome aboard, this is your desk, the bathroom is down the hall on the right".  When people were planning to share a beach house in Belmar with 15 people for the summer, I was planning to retire early. 

I didn't see work as a "hobby", or a "virtue", or some means of "self-actualization"; there was nothing I wanted to be "when I grew up".  I always viewed work as a way to make the money to buy my freedom from work.  

It's not that I hated my job - in some respects, I enjoyed it.  It is just that I knew not working beats working by a huge margin. 

Also, I married somebody that was 7 years older than me.  That makes early retirement more of an imperative than it would otherwise be.  Working to 67 and having your wife be 74 on Day 1 of your retirement isn't exactly the ideal scenario for either of you - that was a reality that I recognized very early on. 

I would tell any kid starting out to plan to retire early.  Nobody says that you actually have to retire when the time comes, but it is nice to know that you can; in my case, I worked (part time) for about 7 years longer than I intended or needed to.

I know guys in their mid-50s that say "well, I think I have to work to 70".  That's gotta look like an uphill slog.  There is a huge difference between "have to" and "want to".

Edited by Slacker

Posted (edited)

And the reason I pulled the ripcord at exactly when I did was two fold.

1. We were back to work travel effective June 24, 2020.  I knew work travel was gonna be a bitch with restaurant closures, client covid demands, my company's covid demands ("all customer personnel participating in the meeting are to be masked during the entirety of our visit"). 

It was a potential hassle that I could afford to avoid.

2. I had to quit sometime... I had already done the part time thing for some years longer than I ever planned to.

Our bonus structure was always such that we got paid in March and I always felt that leaving immediately afterward is kind of dick move (even though the bonus was really just pay for the previous year's work).  So I planned to work to the end of June for whatever year I was gonna quit.  There was never gonna be a better time than 2020... I got the bonus in March and got paid to make phone calls for March - June.

Edited by Slacker

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

And the reason I pulled the ripcord at exactly when I did was two fold.

1. We were back to work travel effective June 24, 2020.  I knew work travel was gonna be a bitch with restaurant closures, client covid demands, my company's covid demands ("all customer personnel participating in the meeting are to be masked during the entirety of our visit"). 

It was a potential hassle that I could afford to avoid.

2. I had to quit sometime... I had already done the part time thing for some years longer than I ever planned to.

Our bonus structure was always such that we got paid in March and I always felt that leaving immediately afterward is kind of dick move (even though the bonus was really just pay for the previous year's work).  So I planned to work to the end of June for whatever year I was gonna quit.  There was never gonna be a better time than 2020... I got the bonus in March and got paid to make phone calls for March - June.

It’s onion peeling time!

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Our bonus structure was always such that we got paid in March and I always felt that leaving immediately afterward is kind of dick move

And leaving before bonuses pay out means your new employer beat your last years number as a signing bonus. We always have resignations the day of direct deposits hitting. They were prepared and already had something lined up. If it is a surprise to the boss he is out of touch with the team. 

No kids and getting married to a good earner is a good retirement plan. In addition to having the basic needs of a tibetan monk. 

10 mins ago, Kml said:

No kids and getting married to an older good earner is a good retirement plan. In addition to having the basic needs of a tibetan monk. 

And the appropriate spousal annuity choice.5AA03AF0-35B3-4A6B-A971-B0B9D1D3B74E.jpeg.4434fee1f17de8f9506f5293ff53348b.jpeg9CF07C7D-1088-4199-BCD6-CE002C741832.jpeg.42a825724d9c1a59e98011dc6a98527e.jpeg

Long term planning.